22. Life Support

As planned, Elliot and I meet Shaun and Jasmine, armed and loaded with important information

As planned, Elliot and I meet Shaun and Jasmine, armed and loaded with important information. I tell them all about Zoe's involvement in Lucy's sex tape and how Detective Saunders was a client of hers. We know that in order to help her, we must first gather enough evidence to bring the entire police force down. We also agree that–although not everyone was named–we can't trust any officer that works there. So, we decide to keep the news to ourselves, vowing instead to solve things on our own.

Elliot found nothing of relevance from his chat with Lewis. Shaun, however, did confirm that Tom had been sleeping with Sienna before her death. Which–subsequently–bumps Francesca up on the list of suspects as well. Jasmine said Rachel–Principle Wilson's wife–turned up to yoga pissed, though not because someone had exposed her husband for the cheat he was. Oh no! As it turns out, Rachel was the one who leaked the story. Apparently, she wants everyone to know what a scumbag he was.

Thankfully, that puts me in the clear. I'm no longer the bitch who went public with Sienna's secret. I'm just the bitch that accuses people of murder, unceremoniously.

"Have we considered the possibility of multiple people being the killer?" asks Elliot, once again taking it upon himself to starfish across my bed.

He looks out of place surrounded by pink, floral sheets and my fluffy comforter. Tough against delicate. Dark against light. Still, I like it. I like having him in my bedroom. And just knowing my sheets will smell like him makes me long for bed time.

"At this point, we can't rule anything out," insists Shaun, sitting alongside Jas and I on the floor.

I'm moments away from throwing out my opinion when a collective bleep makes itself known, prompting each of us to freeze. No one wants to look so I offer to do the honours, feeling sick to my stomach.

Elliot joins us on the floor, reading over my shoulder as I unlock my phone and bring up the two unread text messages.

Unknown:
Your friends say you're loyal,
Do you agree?
Pick truth,
And we'll see.

Unknown:
Chad Wilkinson,
Truth or death?

"It's Chad," I inform, looking to Shaun and Jasmine.

They collectively sigh.

"I'll call him," informs Shaun. "Check he's doing okay."

We watch him make the call multiple times, reaching Chad's voicemail every time he does.

"Try messaging him," suggests Jasmine. "He'll have a lot going on and probably won't have time to talk."

That's true.

"Yeah, okay," he replies, tapping away.

"We should contact Lucy," offers Elliot. "See if she had anything to do with sending the texts."