29. Hard Truths

The familiar shade of lemon relaxes me like it always does, the soft tones encouraging me to open up

The familiar shade of lemon relaxes me like it always does, the soft tones encouraging me to open up. "I don't feel as good as I thought I would."

"Can you elaborate?" asks Mrs Jones, kind smile in place.

Having finally scheduled in a therapy session, I feel the sudden need to be honest.

"I just expected it to be...different."

"Different how?" she presses, digging a little deeper.

I shrug, unsure how I'm supposed to explain this. "I can't help but think–no, never mind. You'll think I'm crazy."

"Try me," she encourages.

I inhale a deep breath and close my eyes, daring myself continue. To say what I'm really feeling out loud. "That maybe we got the wrong guy."

Her shock is evident.

"What makes you think Tom isn't the one responsible?" she asks, tone soft.

I can't quite put my finger on why, though Francesca's insistence certainly doesn't help. She swears by his innocence. Is even willing to testify for him.

"It's a niggle I have."

She nods, understanding as ever. "The police wouldn't have charged Tom had they not had sufficient reason to."

That's true.

"I think your reaction to things being over is simply a defence mechanism," she offers. "You're not sure how to relax because for so long, you've been on edge. It's to be expected, Helena. You are not crazy."

Well, that's a relief.

"Do you think Tom's guilty?" I question, requiring her opinion more than I thought I would.

"As much as it pains me, yes. Yes, I do."

Surely, she's right. She has to be. This cocktail of emotions I'm feeling is a result of being on guard for so long—exactly like she said. Tom is a killer. The police would've said so otherwise. And my doubts are nothing but my imagination running away with itself. That, and Francesca showing up at Adore the other day. Getting into my head. Planting seeds that have no right rooting themselves there. Elliot and I wouldn't just willingly send an innocent person to jail without just cause.

Yet, I feel guilty.

Why?

"As difficult as it is, we have to accept it and move on. Tom is a troubled soul. He's sick."

"Mentally, you mean?" I ask.

She nods. "Must be to have orchestrated something so sinister."

I guess.

"It'll take time, Helena. You have to understand that."

"I do." I suppress the need to sigh. "I just wish I didn't have to ruin lives in the process. Poor Francesca is a mess."