Chapter 13: By Your Side

After the incident, Vergil and (Y/n) were back at the office. "This is all my fault, I should have never left you alone" (Y/n) was sitting down while Vergil was pacing back and forth, blaming himself for not keeping an eye out for (Y/n). He tried to reassure him, telling him that he's alright "Vergil, I'm fine. See? No harm do-" but stumbled as he tried to get up from his seat. Vergil quickly came to catch (Y/n) from his fall and held his waist from his side. "You shouldn't move around too much just yet. I don't want you to be in worse condition than before." (Y/n) blushed as he felt Vergil's strong arm wrap around his waist. The feeling of a strong man's arm holding him so delicately was as if it were a beast holding a gentle and pure flower on his hand. "(Y/n) are you alright? You appear to have a fever." (Y/n) quickly removed Vergil's hand and sat back down with a flustered smile on his face.

Vergil sighed and gripped his katana as made his way out of the office. "Vergil?... " He stopped in his tracks as he heard (Y/n)'s voice. He didn't answer back, nor did he turn around to face him. He waited for (Y/n) to say what he wanted to say...

But both of them knew what Vergil would have done once he left the office.

"Vergil... You're not gonna... Hurt anyone... Are you? " Vergil lowered his head and replied "He hurt you (Y/n)... He doesn't deserve to live" (Y/n) felt worried, he didn't want Vergil to kill anyone. "Vergil... You of all people should know that its wrong " Vergil gritted his teeth knowing that (Y/n) was right, but he couldn't just stand by and do nothing about it. (Y/n) patted the seat next to him and called Vergil to sit next to him. With that, Vergil quietly obeyed and sat next to (Y/n).

Vergil was inraged knowing that he couldn't do anything. " I don't understand... Why won't you let me protect you" said Vergil " I understand your pain Vergil, but hurting someone is never the way " Vergil's heart ached as he listens to (Y/n) "I do not want to lose you (Y/n)....like how I lost Nero's mother " Vergil explained to (Y/n)  about how Vergil lost Nero's mother. He felt great remorse for failing to give his son a proper childhood. He also shared about his own family as well, in regards to Eva and Sparda. "I'm sorry you had to go through that Vergil, but that's no reason as to why you would hurt someone for someone else's safety. " Vergil clenched his fist, but chose to continue listening, "I don't know how we're going to deal with all of this. Things might go better or worse for me... But for now... Let's  just... Rest here... For a bit... " Vergil felt a slight bump on his shoulder, he looked to his side and realized that (Y/n)  had fallen asleep on his shoulder. Vergil forgoten that nearly 24 hours had passed since the incident and (Y/n) hadn't gotten any sleep. He sat there as he watched (Y/n) sleep so peacefully on his shoulder. Vergil felt like a monster for taking advantage of the situation...

But even monsters need love, don't they? ~

Vergil gently laid (Y/n) on the couch without waking him up. He was grateful for having that special moment with (Y/n). But Vergil couldn't just stand by and do nothing. He needed to protect (Y/n) no matter the cost. He knelt down on one knee and quietly whispered "Forgive me"  and got up as he prepared to leave.

Vergil turned the door knob prepared himself for whatever happenes next, but he felt a familiar presence before he left. "Don't try and stop me Dante. I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep him safe" Behind Vergil was Dante, who was casually leaning against the wall. "Don't worry, I don't plan to. But you know what happens if he finds out right? " Dante warned Vergil that murdering someone would scare (Y/n) for life. "He doesn't have to know about it. Besides i'm going to make it quick " Vergil had full confidence in what he had planned in store. "Oh yeah? What if I tell him? " Vergil quickly unsheathed his yamato and pointed it towards Dante "Don't be foolish Dante. Let's not make foolish decisions now, shall we? " Dante was unfazed by his threats. " And you think killing someone isn't?! Look Verge, I'm not going to stop you. But just remember one thing Vergil: Think about (Y/n) " Dante had nothing else to say. He had to make sure that Vergil wouldn't go back to the path of destruction. "I hope you know what you're doing Vergil. Because this time, i'm planning on saving you" Vergil sheathed his sword and said "Don't worry, I don't intend on counting on you"

- Vergil then left the office and headed out for his target.-

The night was pitch black, the moon was halfway full, and the clouds roamed the night sky. Vergil was atop on the roofs. Below him was a man he had been quietly pursuing for 20 minutes. He waited for the perfect moment to strike without being seen by any witnesses. Vergil was growing tired of following the man. His patience was starting to dissipate, until his target turned to a dark alley way. He smirked from the stroke of luck he was given and leaped into the alley way and stood in front of him. His target was panicked and ran towards the other direction, but was met with glowing swords that blocked his path. He turned around once more to see a tall figure with a katana wielded at hand, slowly approaching him with anger across his eyes. "W-Who are you?!... W-What do you want?! " The man stuttered "I know who you are... Alister... And you know what you've done" Alister was shaking in his boots. "M-Me?! What the hell did I do to piss you off?! " Alister looked for any chance of escape. He tried his luck by dashing beside Vergil, hoping that he could escape. He managed to slip past Vergil, but only because he wanted his target to feel hope. Alister quickly turned a corner, then turned to another corner,  but when he turned to another corner, he was met with a dead end. He could hear footsteps slowly getting louder and louder as the silhouette started getting bigger and bigger. Now, Alister was face to face with Vergil. He quickly choked Alister by the neck. He pointed his Yamato at Alister, ready to strike as he watched Alister beg for his life. He gripped his katana and tried to thrust it into Alister's head ...

But he heard a voice calling his name

"Vergil~"

V

ergil stopped just in time for his katana to be nearly inches away from Alister's face. He remembered the times he had spent together with (Y/n). "Think about (Y/n)"  Dante's words echoed into Vergil's thoughts. He thought he had everything under control. But clearly he doesn't.

"W-What's the matter, scared?" Alister taunted. Vergil drove his katana to the side of Alister's head and threatened him"If you ever harm (Y/n) ever again. I will see to it personally that you shall suffer for eternity. I will not kill you, but I will forever be tormenting you and those who care for you no matter what. Do you understand? " Alister shook his head in agreement. Vergil then dropped Alister and Vanished into the shadows.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Vergil returned to Devil May Cry without a single drip of blood. He felt relieved that he chose to spare Alister despite all of the terrible things he has done. He opens the door and expects him to find it empty. But all he saw was his brother asleep at his own desk with an adult magazine sitting on top if his face.

He quietly traversed the office and headed for the couch, expecting it to be empty for obvious reasons. But to Vergil's surprise, he saw, (Y/n) at the exact same place where he left him. Vergil had a short smile across his face. He walked towards (Y/n) and gently lifted his head as he placed it on his lap. There, he removed his glove as he carefully combed (Y/n)'s hair and watched it easily run across his fingers as if his hair were purest of silk. Then, hegently placed hand on (Y/n)'s chest. He could feel his heart beat pumping. It was soothing for Vergil. He placed his elbow on the arm rest of the couch and placed a fist on his cheek for him to lean on. With each seccond passing by, his eyelids grew heavily and heavily and soon, he fell asleep.

•Be sure to vote and Comment to show your support 😊 •