12

We walk into the command center, interrupting a discussion of the evacuation

"-but our ships don't have enough fuel to make it that far." One admiral was saying. This makes sense, seeing as we had just come out of a huge battle and didn't have a chance to replenish our supplies.

The conversation comes to a halt as Poe and I walk in with BB-8 at our feet.

"Poe, Della. Thank you for coming so quickly." Leia says. She's standing at the head of the table, obviously overseeing all of the discussions of the evacuations. "The First Order has plans to come here and destroy us. We need to evacuate the base as soon as possible. There's a chance that they will show up and we will not be finished with our evacuation, in this case we need to find a way to distract them. Commander Dameron, any ideas?"

"Send me out there." He doesn't even think twice about his words. "A single fighter, they'll never expect it, and if I can get close enough, they won't be able to get an accurate target on me to shoot me down. Once everyone is evacuated we can send in more fighters and bombers."

Leia sighs. "Unfortunately, that's true. Are you sure you can do this mission successfully?"

"Yes ma'am," Poe says. I wonder if his x-wing is ready yet. The whole reason why we were even practicing with the blasters today was because his x-wing was under repair and upgrade. But then I wonder something else, if Poe was here for this, why why did I need to be here to?

"General?" Leia turns to acknowledge me and my question. "I was just wondering, why did you call me here?"

"I wanted to ask you to be a part of the group loading Finn and other Soldiers in the med bay onto the ship for evacuation. I also wanted you to be by my side at the command center of the ship when we evacuate." Leia says. I wonder why she would want me to be with her when we evacuate, but I agree. "Perfect. You two are dismissed for right now."

And with that Poe and I walk out of the room.

"You headed to the hanger?" I ask him

"Yeah, I've got to check on my x-wing, see if it's in fighting condition. You're going to get Finn?" I nod my head. "Did you want me to walk you there so you don't get lost?"

I nod again.

And so he grabs my hand, leading me to the infirmary. Once we get there he releases my hand and I suddenly feel awkward with out his hand in mine. "You got this, also make some friends while you're here."

"What, trying to get rid of me so fast, Dameron? I thought we were having fun." I tease.

Poe makes a jokingly shocked face. "Della i-don't-know-you're-last'name, I would never try to get rid of you."

I let out a small chuckle. In a moment of bravery I rise onto my tip toes and press a kiss to Poe's cheek. "Stay safe." Then I walk into the Infirmary.