Who killed Jessie Raegan?

Sirens blared loudly into the night, breaking the quiet that enveloped the small town

Sirens blared loudly into the night, breaking the quiet that enveloped the small town. Lights flashing blue and red as police cars drove in and out of Cape Hill.

Just north outside of the town was an abandoned farmhouse. It stood a few meters away from the main road, just down a small ridge and through a beaten path that was bordered with tall trees of fir and some pine. It was once home to the Miller family, who moved out three years ago and headed off to the big city. People were busily milling about in the main road, few brave enough to go down for a closer look, hushed whispers filling the cold, dark night as they tried to get a good look at what was happening from their vantage point. They had been woken up by the sirens, and fearing a disaster, went to investigate.

Yellow police tape surrounded the crime scene: a barn that stood just a few ways away from the main house, and a good chunk of the area around it; blocking a good number of curious citizens from viewing the dead body that took center stage.

The body, which had been identified as that of Jessie Raegan's, was bloody and dirty to the point that she was almost unrecognizable. The poor girl was stripped clean of her clothes and shoes, her blonde hair haphazardly cut short and caked with dirt making it darker than it actually was. Her face, upon closer inspection, had tiny cuts - most likely from rolling on the ground - that had possibly been caused post mortem. There was also a large gash that ran from her forehead to her cheek. Her body had bruises; some looked old - yellow splotches against the ugly purple ones littered around her, once healthy, now pale skin.

Pictures were taken of the crime scene - old graffiti littering the walls, chipped white paint that had turned brown from dust and disuse, abandoned parts that littered the floor with some hay that looked to be soaked in some type of substance, and the naked body of the corpse - while sifting through for the missing clothes, clues, and the possible murder weapon used.

At first glance, one would deduce that she was stabbed numerous times with a kitchen knife. But only forensic analysis and the coroner's examination could shed light on the whole picture that was still obscured.

After the forensics team had secured the pictures and evidence, the body was carefully moved by the coroner's assistant, a brunette named Holly, into a body bag. Holly took one last glance at the once beautifully tanned, alive face of Jessie Raegan, before the bag was zipped.

"An unfortunate tragedy to befall such a young and beautiful girl." One policeman commented.

"Jessie Raegan.. an unfortunate tragedy indeed."

Outside, the townspeople were getting restless, someone had heard Jessie's name being uttered by one of the policemen. And in his shock, spoke the name out loud. Loud enough for the others in the crowd to hear.

And now, the murmurs were getting louder. The one question on everyone's mind echoed in the cool, spring air.

"Who killed Jessie Raegan?"

***

A/N:
Hi guys! This is my first ever mystery novella. I hope you guys enjoyed the prologue. Chapter 1 will be up soon!

M. J. Lee