Chapter 7 - Vanilla and Honey

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Chapter 7 - Vanilla and Honey

June 1, 2018

Indie waited inside the car patiently. Soft tunes of jazz music filled the empty car. The smooth melody of  the saxophone accompanied by the trumpet and trombone relaxed her completely. Flashes of an evergreen forest, pristine waters, snow capped mountains and a cool, fresh breeze passed through her mind like memories long forgotten.

The squeaky sound of the door opening and prompt slamming alerted her to her father's presence. Silence reigned between the two, as her father started the car, the roar of its engines filling the silence briefly. Her eyes, however, remained closed, her head leaning against her fist on the window. The whole ride was silent; no one talked, both trapped in their own thoughts. Soft jazz music played in the background of their thought-filled silence.

As soon as they arrived, Indie got out and headed inside, straight to her room. Her room was bright and airy, the window slightly cracked open with the curtains billowing softly against the breeze. Indie dived like an Olympic swimmer on her bed, groaning into the soft pillow. She was tired, the feeling making itself known just then, her head felt heavy like a large boulder. And even if she wanted to get out of bed, she found that she could not. But she didn't care. Sleep was a welcomed respite from the long days and nights of cracking this case.

John McAdams, on the other hand, found that he could not fall asleep. And though his eyes were feeling heavy and bloodshot from lack of sleep, his mind couldn't seem to rest. Must be the caffeine. The primary suspect for a restless mind. Wearily, he sat himself on the battered, leather sofa; rubbing tiredly at his eyes. The faint scent of vanilla and honey wafted through the air like an old memory, clenching his heart painfully.

But while the past still had him in its tight grip, Indie was free from its painful influence. Or at least, that was what she thought. A large part of her hated the past. And as she lay on her bed, asleep, nightmares were slowly creeping in, ready to pounce and plague her.

The house was silent, eerily so. Light seeped in from open windows, the wind billowing softly, the curtains flowing along. Indie stood in the long, empty hallway, her eyes scanning the open kitchen and living room space. Stairs that lead to the upper floor stood by her right. Soft footsteps reached her ears, and she turned to see a young child, her red hair bushy, unkempt.

'Mom!' She called, Indie realizing at once that the little girl was her.

'Yes, honey?' The soft lilting voice of a woman permeated the room, her soft smile and pretty face coming into view as she held a plate in her hand. She had been wiping it clean, her eyes bright with joy. A vast difference to how she remembered her just earlier.