Chapter 4 - Autopsies and Hidden Anomalies

Autopsies and Hidden Anomalies

May 29-30, 2018 (Tuesday Night Continued to Wednesday Evening)

Indie lay spread-eagle on the bed. Her mind still circulating around the phone call from Nico earlier.

"Aiden."

Indie paused, stopping in her pacing.

"Are you sure it was Aiden?" She asled, worried that she heard it wrong. Maybe it was Kaiden and not Aiden.

"Yes." Nico finally answered after a moment of tense silence.

Indie cursed, running a hand through her red hair. Aiden was the notorious drug dealer in their town. He did his dealings by the harbor, an easy way to get in illegal and legal shipments. Not to forget the little fact that he is Eric's best friend.

"Alright. Thank you Nico. Text me any new updates." She finally said, rubbing her temples in exhaustion. This was making things even more complicated.

"Roger that." Indie ended the call after that and started pacing again. Aiden's involvement in the case could make it even more complicated than it already was. What were you doing at the harbor with Aiden, Jessie?

Sighing, Indie got up from the bed and faced the still blank board that hung on the wall. Soon it would be filled with lines, questions, pictures and a map. She sighed again, rubbing her temples in agitation.

With no luck with the coroner's report yet, she decided to sleep it out. There was nothing she could do about it. Besides, sleep deprivation isn't going to get me anywhere. She assured herself, lying on her bed and falling asleep in minutes.

****

Indie awoke to the sound of her alarm blaring. Groaning, she glanced at her phone before dismissing her alarm for the day. 7:00 AM it read.

Groaning again, she got up from her bed and prepared herself for school. She had a quiz about WWII in History today, but her mind was preoccupied with thoughts about last night.

Sluggishly, she heads downstairs to the kitchen where her father is sipping his coffee while reading over some new or old report. She couldn't tell.

"Morning Red." John greeted cheerfully, looking at his daughter briefly. A frown etched onto his face when he noticed the dark circles beneath her eyes. But made no comment about it.

"Morning dad." She muttered in reply, pouring herself a cup and settling on the island before him. "What's that?" She asked, eyeing the papers.

John looked at Indie again. "Some reports." He vaugely replied before turning his attention to the papers before him.