04 ; we are music

Marinette's POV

She could barely get out of bed this morning. To say she's exhausted is a severe understatement. She spent all evening yesterday practicing to relieve some anxiety. Unfortunately, it's still there as she stands outside the main music hall with no signs of leaving.

But time stills when she sees him, and she smiles to herself. She figures this must be how Cinderella felt.

He's scanning a flyer, but their eyes meet soon enough, and she tries her best to act indifferent. He does the same, but he's hardly any good at acting.

They meet halfway, and the first thing she makes sure he sees is her furrowed brows of disbelief. "Are you seriously avoiding eye contact?"

"Don't act like you didn't start it?" She hums, not so keen on losing the upper hand.

"Well, I need to go. Do stay away from Alya. I'll see you later." God, she sounded like a mother. In all her sixteen years of existence, that's never happened.

She walked towards the center, clad in a red long-sleeved silk dress falling to her knees. She lets her eyes close before they open, looking at the hall from left to right. She inhales the dry, musty smell of chairs and recycled air-conditioning. She settles the violin on her shoulder, and after a few notes from the pianist, her music fills the entire room.

Introduction et Rondo Capriccioso in A minor, op. 28 by Camille Saint-Saens. It's not her first time playing it. Still, that doesn't change the fact that it's a grade 9 piece that took her no less than three years to master. It requires lots of shifting, excellent control over your bow, and a daily river of tears.

Nonetheless, she plays, doing justice every minute she spent practicing.

<>

It's something he's fallen in love with ever since he's a child.

Everything about this rendition makes him appreciate it more than he did when he last heard it. Maybe because it's hers, and if so, then she should never know just how much it was affecting him.

He's a pianist who hardly touches his instrument. He's memorized it, but up until now, he's never really known just how much it'd remind him of himself.

She finishes the piece, and the crowd doesn't hesitate to applaud. It said everything she couldn't, and that alone was everything.

<>

"That was so amazing," she says, fist-pumping with the air.

"You sound like a child after their first time on a carousel." She looks at him weirdly because that's far from being her most beautiful moment in life.

"No, I wasn't like that after my first time on the carousel, but I was like this on my first time inside a concert hall. There was this pretty woman with blonde hair, and that would be the first time I saw someone play the violin. I was so hyperactive until the next day."

All it took was that woman's smile to be who she is right now. A beautiful smile that she knows is how, after all this time, that woman's still with her.

She became everything she ever wanted to be, never caring about the haters and struggle. Every day, she wakes up ready, thanks to her.

She looks at him as he gazes at the stars. Only two prominent things ever exist between them: silence and a comfortable connection.

She covers her eyes in shame. What is she doing?

She reaches for his cheek but stops. She breathes then smiles because she can't have him knowing her pain.

"I want some ice cream."