16 ; wrong note

Adrien's POV

After the ball marked the start of the Christmas holiday, and while everyone spent it with their families, he was sent to London to garner more knowledge about their company.

Every moment he got to think of her, he didn't waste it. Daydreaming while pretending to listen - and probably listening - has always been a specialty of his.

Finally, four days into the new year, they were back to school. If they were grade-schoolers, they would've hated it, but they're in high school now. Homework was better than dinner with the family.

Many consider the music room to have the most efficient heater. Unfortunately, two musicians and their friends have claimed it as theirs, filling it with bright music and laughter.

From embarrassing encounters with distant relatives to getaways outside of Paris, they talk like they haven't seen each other in years.

Amidst the laughter and chaos, he looks at her like she's an artifact on display for only a few hours, as if he'll never see her again, and as he's taking in every inch of her being, she suddenly locks eyes with her.

Their feelings for each other still stayed unclear, which only annoyed their friends further, but they have all the time in the universe - he hopes.

"Are you just going to stare at her until she melts?" says Alya, making him turn towards her.

"Didn't you come here to play something?" This makes his back burn. Alya knows he composed a love song. Albeit lacking lyrics, it's still too embarrassing to play.

"Marinette, he made you a love song."

"Why would you tell her?" The confused look on Marinette's face turns to a daring one in the speed of light.

"So, it's true?" She only stares at him with a smug look.

"Are you going to play or not?"

He takes a deep breath, loosens his school tie, and takes a seat in front of the piano. His slender fingers meet the monotone keys, and suddenly, music carrying everything from tender love to nostalgia echoes through the room. His mother had always said whenever he plays, it's like a painting drawn right then and there with all the most beautiful colors in the universe.

He wonders how someone could be so willing to love his broken self, stay, and see through his lame attempt to push everyone away. He wonders how, until a loud thud and a "Marinette!" pull him back to reality.

Marinette lay immobile in a shaking Alya's arms. He rushes to her side, shaking hands feeling the neck for a pulse, and freezing when he realizes there's none.

Pleas of help quickly turn the atmosphere gloomy. He takes her from Alya and lays her on the floor. He starts compressions, tears rolling down his cheeks because what if he's doing it all wrong?

He screams, wipes away some of his sweat and tears, and resists the urge to vomit. He hears the door opening, then closing, then hitting the door as someone enters hurriedly and rushes to his side.

They strip off her clothes and place white pads connected to wires on her chest. He swears seeing her getting shocked is the scariest thing he's seen in his life.

Her chest rises and falls after a minute, while he collapses and shakes on the floor. When the teacher hurries to his side, he forces himself to stand and make his way to the ambulance. Alya couldn't, but he can't blame her.