09 ; grave secrets

Marinette's POV

She feels fine again as usual. Nothing's wrong. Everything's just a precaution because she's probably the most fragile person in Paris.

She sits straighter, continuing to sketch-her catharsis as Clarice, her favorite nurse, enters her room.

"I loved the party here yesterday. Now, clear the desk. You have a new regimen." She only smiles in return.

They've known each other for five and a half years. Marinette is more obedient and less talkative during treatments.

She can barely call for help as a crushing pain suddenly starts from her chest and proceeds all too quickly to the rest of her body - or how she feels like it.

Her vision blurs, and though she's used to it, it's still scary. She panics as they place an oxygen mask on her face and start rolling her bed out to the hallway.

It feels like a scene from a movie with electric music playing in the background as she allows herself to sleep.

<>

So, what's it like being on your fourth surgery?

She stirs from her sleep, noticing the oxygen mask on her face. Someone stands beside her, smiling as she removes the mask.

"Good afternoon," they say, but she's too disoriented to understand anything.

"I'm sorry. I don't remember what happened." She says with her groggy voice, too exhausted and too scared of the various machines hooked to her.

"You had a heart attack. You've been showing signs of arrhythmia for the past two days. That was what we needed to confirm with the ECG, so I'm sorry you had to go through that before we could do anything, but don't worry, we took care of everything. Also, welcome to the CCU, nurse Clarice will be here any minute." Her doctor says, light and gentle like an angel's voice, comforting her even just a little bit.

"Your parents are outside. I'll call them now." She doesn't say anything as her mother rushed by her side, clasping one hand with theirs and wiping the fresh tears off her mother's face with the other.

<>

It was devastating, yet it also made no difference in their friendship when Alya found out that she was sick.

She found it useless to worry Alya, so she told a lie. She's learned to master the art of lying in these past few years.

"The doctors found something abnormal, so they're keeping me here longer than I thought." Everything's sore as she lies limp on her bed.

"For how long, exactly?" Alya looks around her room, fascinated yet terrified by the number of machines connected to her best friend.

"Probably for a whole week." At that, her best friend stares deep into her soul.

"Promise me I shouldn't be worried."

"I promise." Alya can never know.

"Can you ask Maman to bring my pajamas?" She tries to, at least, sit up without groaning, to which she does in vain with Alya immediately at her side.

"Sure. By the way, what would you like for dinner tonight?"

"Sushi. Folic acid," Clarice says, rolling in her med cart.

"We didn't get the chance to set up your new regimen." With that, she watches as Clarice starts arranging the numbered cups by date on her desk.

"So, sushi?"

"Shrimp and salmon." Alya laughs because she would never try any other kind.

They talk some more after ordering dinner before Alya has to leave since tomorrow is a class day.