19 ; all regrets

Adrien's POV

"Thank you," Adrien says, accepting his order of croissant and coffee. He takes a seat in the cafeteria and stares at its high ceiling as if it had stars painted on them.

He has a lot to think about, but it's just like all those other days that he doesn't know where to start.

There's the fact that he's been - continues to be a jerk - and the amount of utter regret that comes with such action.

He takes a sip of his coffee but scrunches his nose at the realization that it's gone cold. How does time accelerate when he's in his head? Or maybe it's a sign to start moving, be productive, and do what he's here to do.

Before he could get up, a woman comes to sit with him, clearly looking like she's there to talk to him. Suddenly, he feels nervous, like talking to an officer after committing a crime.

"I've seen you before. Today's the fourth time you've visited. Why? The hospital cafeteria isn't a restaurant to come and go, and the food isn't even that good." If it were anyone else, he'd get offended at the interrogation, but this woman wore a sensible smile, and the look on her face commands you to trust her.

"Maybe if I introduce himself, you'd feel more comfortable. My name is Clarice. I've been Ms. Dupain-Cheng's nurse since she was young. We've never met before, but I've heard more than enough about you." With that, she lets the silence settle.

"I'm sorry if I'm bothering you. It's just that I have a feeling you're the reason Marinette's been off lately."

"Until last week, you were the only one she talked about. Now, you're nowhere in our conversations. Whatever happened, maybe I can give you a word of advice if you're fine with that."

"Why don't you visit her?" The question didn't exactly hit a nerve. Maybe it's just that it's about time he said something.

"She wouldn't want anything to do with me."

"Why would you says that?"

"What else? I eventually became a jerk."

"Everyone's a jerk at some point in their lives, and you're still young. Expect it to happen often. I'm sorry I pried. I just really want you to resolve whatever happened."

"I want to give you more advice like I promised, but I have none for your situation." She bids farewell and stands up with a pile of folders he didn't notice she had with her.

"You don't know how much time she has left." Her wording keeps him motionless for a minute, and when he turns around, she's gone with the wind.

He leaves after that because he's a damned coward sentenced to suffer in agony for his actions.

The sun is getting ready to leave the sky behind. For some reason, he ends up at their school, in the familiar music room bearing the familiar nostalgic feeling.

It's like the spirit of death came himself, so he's honestly surprised to see a familiar figure slamming the sliding door open.

"Alya," he utters her name from his place in silence.

"Stand up. We're going to see Marinette."

He doesn't blame her when she unexpectedly grabs him by the color and pulls him closer. He doesn't even care to name all his sins.

"You're such an asshole."

"Marinette needs you more than ever and you're here, willowing in your sadness."

No matter how resentful he looks, Alya's still going to kill him.

"You make me so sick, Agreste. How did I turn out to be so wrong about you? You're worse than all those other dicks."

"Are you that blind? She's dying and taking your time, acting like there's still a chance some miracle will happen.

"Why won't you say something?" He lets her hit him in the chest.

"Just go, Alya. It's not worth seeing my face." After all, how could he ever make up for such selfishness?

"You're right. Why am I even here? Don't even try to visit her," she whispers before shutting the door with earth-shattering force, leaving him in the dark.