18 ; the best friend

Alya's Special POV

It's just odd not to see Marinette in her room. She supposes it's just better to stay in your comforter than to be constantly reminded of what you can't do if you ever decide to roam around, so when Alya arrives to see the room empty, Alya has mixed feelings about it.

She stares at the bed, eventually deciding to occupy it before pulling out her phone to try calling her missing best friend.

The last time she checked, they'd disassemble the wheelchair and abandoned it in the closet, so it's troubling that she has practically no idea if something worrying is going on, and her calls ending up in voicemail aren't very helpful.

Alya stares at the ceiling, laying down on the bed and telling herself to stop worrying already. Marinette would never do anything that could give Alya a heart attack.

A light knocking on the door gets her standing and opening the door, and the girl speaks before she can see who it is, all in pure worry and frustration.

"God, where have you been?" However, instead of her best friend is a middle-aged woman a few inches smaller.

"Mrs. Cheng," she says, standing still for a while before awkwardly hugging Marinette's mother.

"I couldn't let you die waiting, so I went down to get you." Alya is only more confused when the woman leaves, and she has to follow the other.

"It's a little bit of a painful sight, but it's something to get used too even if you don't want to," Sabine says as they step out of the elevator. Her choice of words hugely bothers Alya, but she couldn't blame her. It's the hardest for the mother.

They keep walking until they reach a room with translucent glass to keep its user's privacy.

She's never seen Marinette in therapy, but now that she has, she now knows the pain of watching someone hope for something they'll never get.

From the way the girl falls helplessly, her perseverance to get back up, continuing the rest of the course while quivering and exhausted, and finally making it, she watches through the glass door like a child forced to accept reality, with eyes disappointed at the world.

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Alya looks up from her laptop towards the girl standing by the counter, killing time.

"Did you just quote Christopher Robin?"

"Do you have a problem with it?"

"Yeah, why do you always carry a child's book around?"

"C'mon, it makes me poetic, and you know that people love that."

Alya only nods before going back to work. Suddenly, the girl's seated beside her holding the all-too-familiar diary.

"I'm going to show you something."

She points at a poem written neatly with a pink glitter pen. It's a love poem that sends Alya shrieking.

"What the hell? You've never even had a boyfriend before." With that, Marinette snatches away the notebook, only for it to fall on the ground when Alya tries to get it back from her.

A paragraph in black catches her attention. She deems it intentionally wanted her to read it.

She picks up the diary and reads it silently.

'Dear diary, the doctors told me that each time my heart hurts, it's slowly reaching its limit. That's the simplest way to say it. I don't want to worry anymore. I don't want to hurt more than I already am. Just let it beat, and don't let it give up so easily.'

When she looks up, there's a look of devastation on Marinette's face.

"It's so hard, Alya. How am I supposed to keep holding on?" Alya wants to scream right then and there, wishing she could do more than to hug the girl tight in her arms.