05 ; some comfort

Adrien's POV

There's a force that brings his fingers to the piano. It starts like any other rendition of Rachmaninoff's Liebesleid, but this one slowly gets to him. He feels his heart go heavy, and soon, tears start rolling down his cheeks.

He makes sure to play gently, just the way his mother had taught him. It reminds him of her soothing voice whenever she'd bring him back to sleep or whenever he'd have a fight with his father.

Some would say it's a bit too playful to serve as a reminder that love has sorrow because it's for your own good. He hits the wrong key and stops. Sobs erupt and echo through the room because it's so painful. He's still stuck in the second stage of grief, even after two years.

It takes a while before he can deem himself okay. He tries swallowing the lump in his throat before gently resting his head on the piano, fingers brushing the keys.

The sound of the door opening finally brings him back to earth, but his eyes stay shut.

"What are you doing here?" Her familiar voice makes him sit up and take a deep breath.

She looks heavenly, lights illuminating her lithe figure, a knapsack over her shoulder, and her violin held in front of her.

"Your eyes are puffy. Why were you crying?" He rubs his eyes as she opens the light and fan, settling her things on the floor.

It's almost like she's faster than a blink of an eye because she's instantly beside him, head tilted to the right with that same gorgeous smile.

"Can you move?" She sits beside him anyway.

She looks at him two to three times as both of them value the silence.

Fingers touching the monochromatic keys, she says, "No, I don't know how to play the piano, but I believe you do."

It's been a while since he played for someone, but the comfort and love she radiates makes him do so as a thank you for something as simple as being there with him.

He resumes playing, not a single word uttered. It's one of those pieces that cheers him up more than it lets him down. After all, sorrow is there, so you would learn to appreciate joy. These pieces his heart has memorized made the world more comforting than it is.

He feels a head on his shoulder, and a gasp gets trapped in his throat. He plays more smoothly than he had anticipated, his heart beating faster than what is healthy.

As the song settles to an end, he smiles to himself before looking at her. He had no plans on being happy today. He's clearly wrong.

"That was amazing. I just hoped the piano wouldn't make it so hard for you." At that, his shoulders relax because, of course, she had seen through him.

"How'd you know?"

"Music is meant to be the one to tell all those things you can't. Whether you like it or not, it will unveil all your happiness and your pains." Her eyes are dull, lacking their usual sparkle, and she breaks eye contact with him as soon as she can.

"Ah, I'm skipping practice today." She stands up, quickly switching off the light but leaving the fan on before opening the door once again.

"Huh, why?"

"I don't know. I guess I'm just not in the mood to." He doesn't miss the breaking of her voice as she shrugs and disappears. Cliffhangers shouldn't happen in real life.

What's going on?