10 ; just for tonight

Marinette's POV

Finally, she's off the machines and allowed to go out, even if it's just for one day. It's her 17th birthday, and though the inevitable only closes in, she'll let herself feel like a princess today.

Normally, a birthday is just another day, with the chances of getting a piece of cake and/or a present decreasing as you age, but she hasn't been normal since that day six years ago.

She woke up surrounded by the nurses who've grown close to her heart over the years.

Lilian - another nurse and friend - takes it upon himself to pick her outfit for the day. She wears a plain white spaghetti strap chiffon blouse with a pair of light denim skinny jeans and beige heels. Having cut her hair yesterday, she lets the waves recoil naturally. She didn't apply makeup since she couldn't find a nice color pallet to go with the look. She digs through her luggage for a peach shoulder bag before wearing her custom charm bracelet.

Before she steps out of her room and into the world, Clarice hands her a small velvet box.

"Go on, open it," they say when she hesitates.

In it, a pair of teardrop pearl earrings glimmer in the light. The realization that this is hers quickly dawns over her, and her jaw inevitably slacks.

"Now, wear it," and after so much persuasion, she finally does.

"Oh, my God," she says, looking at herself through the table mirror.

Though she has to refrain from doing too much for the next few weeks, it's nothing she's not used to because, after all, it is her third surgery.

Now, she waits patiently at the park by the school, ready to surprise him. Before he turns the corner, she jumps from behind and engulfs him in a back hug.

She swears she can feel his heart thumping and begging to be set free.

"It's my birthday, and you're going to hang out with me," she whispers into his ear.

"You're holding me for ransom?"

"I really thought you'd say 'happy birthday' first," she says before letting him go.

"Happy birthday."

"Thank you," she says, albeit feigningly.

"You cut your hair. It looks good on you."

"Thanks." She plays with the curls before skipping like a child.

The past is the past. What happened in the last few days has no right to haunt her.

She furrows her brows, eyes glossing as she stops to gaze at the stars.

"So, where to?" He says, finally catching up to her.

"First, you need to change," and she pulls him off in the direction of her house.

"You have male clothes?" He says as the doorbell rings, signaling their entrance.

"I made them," and he lets her pull him up the stairs.

"I'll go pick out some clothes," when she turns, one thing's for sure, it's not what she expected to see.

"Surprise!" Loudly, all her friends and family cheer, making her let go of Adrien's hand so she can cover her mouth in awe.

"Y-you didn't have to-"

"Mari, I know you have plans, but it's important that you blow these candles," Alya says as she comes out of the kitchen with a two-layer cake with seventeen candles all around it.

"I pray another year with you, Marinette. I love you so much." She's too shocked that it takes her so much longer to blow the candles.

It seems they know she has plans because just as the sun sets, the last "enjoy your date" is finally said.

"Try these on. I'm sure they're your size," she says, putting the clothes on the chaise longue.

"I mean, there's not much of a difference between you and Nino in size, and I'm a fashion designer. I know your measurements in one look." Heaven only knows how his chuckle sends her heart into calamity.

He takes the white cotton hoodie and the sleeveless denim jacket before wearing it over his button-down and re-doing the laces of his converse.

They bid her parents goodbye before racing to the metro station, relieved that rush hour is over.

"You know, I had to convince everyone that this isn't a date."

"You are a seventeen-year-old hanging out with a guy."

"You know, I wouldn't miss spending this day with you," and both can swear they had sparkles in their eyes.