Chapter Thirty-Seven

For the first time in my life, I was awaken by the shots of a thousand sparks as they traveled down the right side of my body, by the warmth that engulfed my senses and the addictive aroma that I knew only one person to carry.

My eyelids fluttered open and I blinked against the morning sun. It took my mind a few seconds to fully comprehend my position on the bed, where I lay half on top of a rising and falling chest. My left arm was draped over Xavier's torso as he lay asleep on his back, his own arm around my waist.

My heart nearly leapt out of my chest.

I jumped out of my seat, in the process accidentally nudging Xavier roughly, which earned me an annoyed groan. I backed a couple steps away, unaware of the sheets tangled around my ankles, and let out a squeak as I tumbled over the edge of the bed and collided with the floor.

Xavier shot out of his place, his eyes wide open as he studied the room, then fell on my awkward position on the floor.

I groaned distastefully, both in pain and embarrassment.

Xavier let out a slight chuckle, his hand coming up to rub the sleep out of his eyes. "What in the world are you doing?"

I shuffled on the floor, trying to untangle my legs from the sheets but failing miserably, and instead looking like a struggling fish flapping out on land. Xavier studied my failed attempts, and just continued chuckling at me.

"Help. Me." I frowned at him, hissing through clenched teeth.

Bearing an amused grin, he ran his hand through his tangled hair and moved to the side of the bed to stand up. "Yes, ma'am."

I watched helplessly as he grabbed the end of the sheets and loosened them, twisting them around my ankles to free me. My legs fell with a thump to the floor, and I wasted no more second in jumping out of my seat.

I mumbled a quick thanks and rushed to the bathroom where I locked myself in.

Leaning against the closed door, I let out a deep sigh, tightening my eyes shut as I tried to erase the first ten minutes of our morning encounter. How embarrassing it was that this was the first thing he had to witness, on our first morning waking up together.

I face-palmed myself in shame.

Suddenly, the memories of the night before rushed to the front of my mind. I remembered the surreal story Xavier narrated to me about the history of his family, about his... superpowers.

I shook my head. That's ridiculous. People don't have superpowers, this is real life we're talking about.

I moved towards the marbled sink and turned on the faucet, splashing my face with ice-cold water. I gasped as I came to stand up straight, droplets of water rolling and falling onto the top of my shirt.

I looked at my reflection, and the most sparkling brown eyes stared back at me.

There were stars shimmering in the dullness of my eyes. I stared bewilderingly.

Last night, after the talk Xavier and I had, he excused himself to take a bath before bed. I tried to wait up for him but ended up falling into a deep slumber, I don't even remember hearing him leave the bathroom. I must've been way too deep in my sleep, given that I'd spent a whole night asleep next to him and never once realized.

It wasn't like this was the first time I'd woken up in the arms of a person I had feelings for; but never before was it in Xavier's, the man who'd made me feel things I never thought were humanely possible.

Your soulmate.

I jumped once the word was spoken in my mind, hushing the inner voice in my head.