Ch.2 Call Me

Before senior year, there had been talk in the
Jackson's household about moving. Michael and his brothers had soared to fame as the Jackson 5 and the family had enough money to move to California where the boys could pursue their musical career even farther. The idea was always turned down because the boys had to finish high school, but now that senior year was almost done for Michael, Joseph was finally getting his way. I'd managed by dumb luck to keep the visits to the Jackson's under wraps all these years, but my father was growing more suspicious by the day. Michael pulled me aside one day as I was leaving his house. He had a somber expression on his face and I wanted to kiss the sadness away but I couldn't. I had fallen in love with him and he didn't even know it. Of course I didn't know he loved me at the time. He didn't tell me until years later. He started at my with his beautiful brown doe eyes and sighed deeply. "Hey Beth?" "Yeah Mike?" "There's somethin I gotta tell you." My heart beat faster and I felt my cheeks get hot. "Yeah Mike?" I repeated. "You know we've been talkin bout moving recently and well, Joseph's finally got his way. Beth, we're moving to California." I bit back tears. "Oh-Michael- I should go" I turned so he couldn't see my tears and tried to leave but he gently grabbed my wrist and pulled me back. I kept my face away from him as he spoke "Beth, hey now, Bethy come on don't cry. There's something else I wanted to ask you." I turned my head around and started into his eyes. "I want you..... I want you to come with us." I was shocked. I looked down and said nothing. Michael tipped my chin up to look into his eyes. They were full of longing and something I couldn't quite put my finger on. Something Id seen often and yet I never took note of before. Was it....No. It can't be that. That's too good to be true. "Come with us Bethy. Please. I- I don't want to leave you here. With your father." I winced. "Don't worry about me Michael I'll be ok." "No, no you won't be ok Beth. To you think I'm stupid? You think I haven't seen the bruises? The burns? I know Beth. I've always known. I can't leave you here with him, I won't do it. Don't ask me to do that Bethy anything but that." His voice broke slightly. He knew my pain all to well. "I want too but.... I can't Michael. I can't. I have a year before I'm old enough to leave." "A lot can happen in a year" he whispered. "I know. I'll be ok Michael. I swear. Don't you worry about me. You never have to worry about me, ok? I'm tough I'll handle it." I tried for a small smile. He took my hand and gave me a slip of paper. I opened it and on it was a phone number. "That's our new phone number. I want you to call me every day, you hear? Every single day." "Michael-" "No. Every day Bethy. Promise me." "I promise." "Goodbye Bethy." He kissed my on the forehead. The butterflies in my stomach fluttered around. We both blushed. I did something I'd never done before. I wrapped my arms around him in a hug. He rested his chin on the top of my head. "Goodbye Michael" I said softly. We broke apart as his mother called for him to come in. He looked at me sadly one last time. Tears welled in our eyes as he let go of my hand. "Michael? Call me when you get there." "Yes ma'am."