Ch. 5 Close the Door

I stayed with the Jackson's for about 3 years. During this time many of Michael's brothers moved away and got married, while Michael remained focused on his career. As Michael was writing his album 'Bad' he brought me to the studio because he claimed he was stumped. "Michael Jackson? Stumped?" I teased. He grinned. "Look just help me will ya? It's the last song I have to write and record." He said he wanted the song to be upbeat and catchy, but to also be about a girl. I rolled my eyes. "Well my advice would be know who you're talking about I guess. If you know who, you might be able to figure out the finer details of the song. But I'm not a songwriter so I don't know." He looked down at me with a grin. "Oh I know who I want it to be about." I was completely clueless, and disappointed that it wasn't about me(although it was) and as Michael went to go grab something to write on, I sat down on the little couch and kicked off my shoes. Michael came over and sat down next to me. He scribbled furiously and then stared at the paper for a long time. He tapped his foot and snapped his fingers until he hopped off the couch and ran out the door. A minute later he came back with the musicians and started directing them what to play. Soon, everyone was playing a catchy beat and Michael started singing the lyrics he had written down on a napkin. He kept his eyes fixed on me with a smile on his face, and I watched, captivated by the song. 'Hey pretty baby with the high heels on, you give me fever like I've never ever known! You're just a product of loveliness,I like the groove of our walk your talk your dress! I feel your fever from miles around, I'll pick you up in my car and will paint the town! Just kiss me baby and tell me twice you're the one for me, the way you make me feel you really turn me on you knock me off my feet my lonely days are gone' after they finished and recorded Michael came back over to the couch. "What do you think?" He asked. "Michael that was amazing! I never can quite wrap my head around how you come up with stuff like that. You went from no inspiration to having a whole song recorded and ready to go." He looked at me and bit his lip. "Come on Bethy I know you ain't stupid." My heart fluttered. 'I wanna hear you say it' I thought. Finally, after what felt like days,I couldn't keep waiting for anything to happen. So I reached up and turned his face towards me. His beautiful brown eyes looked into mine and finally I did what I had never had the courage to do: I kissed him. And to my surprise, he kissed me back. We sat there, making out for a while until Quincy Jones, who had entered the room quietly, clears his throat. We broke apart, startled. Michael blushed and gave a nervous chuckle. "Don't stop on my account." Quincy said, grinning ear to ear. "I'd hate to break up the show so soon." "Sorry Quincy." Michael said, getting up to go and shake his hand. "We were just leaving actually." He motioned towards the door and I got up and walked over, shoes in hand. Michael said goodbye to Quincy and we went back home. As I was going to bed, Michael caught up with me in the hall. "Beth! Wait up a sec." I turned around and waited, and he stopped in front of me. He looked exhausted. "Look I'm not sure if I read something wrong about today, but look, would maybe....What I'm tryna say is......" I stopped him with a kiss. "Of course I'll be your girl. Took you long enough to ask." He looked relieved. He bent down and cupped my face, kissing me once again. I wrapped my arms around his neck. After a minute, we pulled apart. Michael's eyes glinted with a mischievous light. He kissed me again and whispered "goodnight" I smiled as I closed the door behind me.