Ch. 3 He's Not That Into You

Michael kept his promise, at first. He called me every day wanting to know the finite details of the day. I would always speak quietly so my father couldn't hear, and Michael would call late at night. He'd always sound happy, even though there was traces of tiredness in his voice. Months passed. Then a year. Then three. The calls got less frequent. He'd always sound so sorry he didn't call sooner and he'd say "I just get so damn busy" but still the calls slowly stopped. The last time we talked, I had a feeling it was the end. "Bethy you'll never guess it's just so exciting!" "What is it Mike?" "I found a girl." I choked and quietly started crying. He had found someone. He hadn't ever loved me. All I was to him was a charity case. "Are you happy?" I said quietly. "I don't know Bethy. I don't know." "Well then. I'm tired Mike. I'm gonna go to bed. Bye." I couldn't talk any longer to him so I hung up "Bethy wa-" I started at my wall for a minute, tears running down my cheeks. *click* I jumped as the door opened behind me. My father looked over me with rage twisting his features. "Who the fuck was that?" He said gruffly. "N-no one" "You lying no good bitch" he growled. I whimpered and jumped back as he swung is fist. I tripped over the bed as I tried to dodge once again but this time the blow landed on my jaw I screamed in pain, but my father grabbed me and pulled me off the bed. I hit the floor hard and I vaguely remember blood smearing across the shag carpet in my tiny bedroom. He threw me against the wall and grabbed me by the throat. "THIS'LL TEACH YOU TO LIE TO ME" he shouted, his foul breath and spit hitting my face. I clawed at his hands, desperately trying to get loose. I kicked my legs until they hit their mark. He howled and dropped me. I landed on my arm and a sharp pain hit me and my arm gave out. I cried out as my father's attention turned back to me. He kicked me in the stomach. Hard. "WHO WERE YOU TALKING TOO" he shouted. I couldn't say a word. He kicked again. I yelped out "Michael" and he assailed me with blows and kicks. I tried in vain to punch back, and finally I felt weak. Blood was everywhere. I heard someone outside my door yelling and trying to get in. I figure pulled my father off me and then I closed my eyes.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I woke up in a hospital room. I was sore and in severe pain. I looked around, blinking rapidly as my eyes adjusted to the bright room. Flowers sat on my bedside table. Next to my bed, a blurry figure sat in the chair. Clearly the person was asleep, as my movement didn't cause them to stir. Finally, my eyesight returned and I saw Ms. Kathrine sitting next to me, snoring loudly. I winced as I held back a laugh. I must've made noise because she sat up very quickly, all the sudden very wide awake. She smiled gently as she saw my eyes open. "There you are Bethy. How are you feeling?" I decided I should lie and said " I feel like I could hop right on outta this bed Ms. Kathrine" I managed a smile through my pain. "Where's Michael?" I asked. Part of me had hoped he would be here, but another part of me was glad he wasn't. Of course I knew he wasn't going to be here. I'd been hearing of his newfound success everywhere. He didn't have time for me obviously. He had just released Thriller so I knew he was busy. He had a girl now too. "He's been busy. I didn't tell him anything." I sighed. If he knew he would blame himself and I hated it when he did that. Kathrine looked away with a sadness in her eyes. "Look you're gonna get out tomorrow and I'm gonna take you home with me, ok?" "To California?" I squeaked. California. The land of the stars. Michael's home. I'd never been more nervous in my life.

We boarded the plane and I almost threw up. I was moving in with the Jackson's. Only temporarily of course but still. Also, I hated planes. I was exhausted but I couldn't sleep. Hours later the plane landed and we were driving to my new home. As we drove up to the large house I gasped. I'd never been anywhere but Gary, and they didn't have houses this large. The house was a sprawling mansion. It had intricate landscaping and a vast property. We bounced up the driveway and pulled in front of the massive house. It looked as looming and scary as the inevitable meeting between me and Michael. We were greeted by Janet and LaToya. I was so happy to see them again. I breathed a sigh of relief that none of the boys were here. Janet was talking to me faster than seemed humanly possible, trying to catch me up on every detail I'd missed. Kathrine chuckled. "Hush now Janet and let her go get unpacked." I smiled at her gratefully. Janet and LaToya helped me with my bags and they led me up the large staircase to my room. Unfortunately for me, it was next to Michael's. I hadn't been there but an hour when the doorbell rang. Kathrine answered the door and there stood a perky blonde haired woman with a little southern twang. She greeted Kathrine, then nodded at LaToya and Janet with a look of distain. She regarded me and then seemed to recognize me. "You must be Elizabeth. I'm Michael's girlfriend Tara" she emphasized 'girlfriend' as if she knew it would make me mad "I've heard so much about you! I've actually wanted to talk with you for a long time honey" I winced. That word made me uncomfortable. We walked to the living room. "Look darlin, I know you have the hots for Michael ok? But I hate to tell you, he's just not into you. I think you should get yourself a man and stay out of my way." She all of it with a smile on her face but it was clearly a threat. Her tone said 'Stay our of my way, or I'll ruin you' . So out of her way I would stay. Maybe.