Trying to sleep

*Daryls pov*

---

Rick went over with me how we would start planning crops and plant before pretty much immediately, because we will lack food before next winter hits.We will use the already gated piece of land in the back yard for vegetables, and we will start fruit trees in the far back behind the house near the creek. We will be installing another fence through the creek to ensure safety. Added to this, we will even be growing herbs in window sills and the back porch (Carol already starting on working on them). If this land proves to be fertile we will invest in flowers for special occasions. That bit I think was mentioned mostly by Andrea who felt the need to put flowers on graves frequently.

I tried to sleep, but coulldn't. I kept thinking about Naiomi. I had so many questions for her. By the time I got home though she was on the couch. I had taken her upstairs and put her in her bed. She started to talk in her sleep, and I couldn't help but listen to what her constantly troubled mind had to say. She mumbled a name, she said it slow and softly, I almost couldn't hear it, but I swear it was mine. She started to cry in her sleep with her facial expression changing to fear she kept saying "No." Over and over until all she did was cry softly and silently, with her face contorted into a frown. I told her it was okay, that I was here, and that I would take care of her if she would let me. She calmed down and I left, hoping the door shutting wouldn't wake her up.

It was true though. I want to take care of her. My mother was raped and my father beat her into Stockholm's syndrome. If my mother had stayed alive long enough for me to be able to protect her; I would have. Maybe this is my chance to redeem my childhood. Maybe this is also my chance to care for something that will stay with me. My damn brother claims he was there for me, but in reality it was just me. Naiomi, she is something I need. Icould have something to care for, something to live for (other than myself and this group)...Something that if I protected, I could rely on for something personal and intimate. I'd be damned though if I did't pick to wanting the only thing I can't have. The girl that hates me. The girl that hates me because of my very essence.

I replayed the image of her curves in my mind. I went over every second I wanted to kiss her... Every moment I wished she was mine to hold. She really didn't look pregnant, and the more I thought about how attractive she was to me, and what could have happened to her for her to be emancipated, the more questions I got. I gave up when I felt darkness fall on my mind. I let my self drift into hopefully a sleep that was placid.