I can't always be there.

A/N: Sorry for the sporadic and crapily edited updates. Finals are getting rough and Christmasisn't helping.

Daryls pov

---

I wipe the blood off my hands and sigh from relief. We've cleared this shit hole out. We finally get to relax awhile, or we can hope anyways. Rick doesn't seem to quit. He spoke about starting a well, and some crops again. He's just as exhausted as us, but keeps hoping for a permanent home. After we lost Sophia, one the highway, and Hershel, at the farm-I'm starting to doubt we can make a real home.

"Lets clean these bodies out before we start crocheting pot holders." Rick says with joy, but also some obvious strain.

I grunt as I lift the torso of a dead and previously undead inmate up, and with Tdogs help, out. We leave them in the courtyard that was also littered with bodies. I guess we're doing a round trip. A train of two member teams picking the bodies up, and getting them out, develops.

After we were done I grab a mattress from one of the cells and set up shop in the hallway. I'll be damned if I'm sleepin' in a fuckin' cell. Carol stops me and rubs my arm with her calloused hands. She sighs, and looks into my eyes with a sad smile. I smile back,without any sadness. She looks sad no matter how happy she is. I guess I would be too. She leaves to her cell, and I remember I was doing something. My stuff from the truck needs to be where I sleep, so looks like I gotta head out.

I make my way out of the prison courtyard, and into the open space with the guard towers. I guess there were more walkers who were taken care of because there were bodies, about eleven, laying around. I ignore them and walk to the truck to grab my crossbow. I sling the beautiful bow and the homemade quiver onto my shoulder. I grab my duffel bag of clothes and head back to our amazingly fantastic, new found home.

I examine the bodies as I passed again, and one began to barely move. I watch it and realize where I've seen that onyx hair before. It was Killer!

"What the fuck?!" I scream as I run over to her and pick up her lanky body. Her baby bump pushes against me as I almost drag her into the gates she drops what looked like an arm.... An  arm?

Pam comes rushing outside, most likely looking for her patient, who was near unconscious. She has me take her to her cell and I lay Killer on the bottom bunk. She is almost devoid of color and before I know it, Pam was doing her magic, organizing things for her patient. She is a really great doctor.

"Hey! We're going to run for the cafeteria. We need you." Rick says, coming to me gun in hand. "What the hell? I thought someone was supposed to take care of her?" He says getting close to her face and feeling her for a fever. Her eyes are closed now, and she's surely knocked out.

"Carol was supposed to. I specifically told her." Pam says with anger rushing through her realization.

"She just left her at the gate?!" I say incredulously. "Keep me posted when I get back." I murmur.

Pam nods, and I drop my duffel bag here. I will have to set up shop after we have food for everyone.

We enter the tunnel ways in formation, with me and Rick in the front. The walkers thankfully are ultimately unaware, but have obviously been here a long while. They look so decomposed they could fall apart soon. We take them out mercilessly and try our best to leave a pathway for others. We get to the cafeteria after about ten minutes that feels like eternity only to be greeted by some prisoners who 'are wide eyed and have no clue what's going on.

I focus and try to become as tentative as possible, as Rick introduces himself with some some sort of self-proclaimed leader.

"My name is Rick Grimes, and these are people in my group. We are clearing out this prison and intend to make it our new home."

"Well, Rick," The stalky leader spits,"good luck. This is our prison. And since we were her first we are the only ones who should live here. My name's Preston Douglas, and I think you are mistaken."