We are products of the past

Pam's pov

---

As I look twoard the entrance of the cell I bring my hands to my face. Taking care of my patient has been my only care the past hour and fifteen. I pinch the bridge of my nose. Hopefully the infirmary isn't far from the cafeteria. Lori is trying to take my mind off of Naiomi by asking me about her pregnancy, and it's almost worked. She's really concerned about the virus in the air and 'cause I'm the gynecologist, she assumes I know about this sudden virus (strain of rabies I presume), and how it effects her soon to be born infant. I try t' tell her that surely it won't 'bust out' of her and eat her alive, 'since you gotta be dead t' get the disease. My comfort, and patience wear thin as Carol, and the kids stop by.

"How's she doing?" She says innocently.

"Nearing kidney failure." I enunciate sternly. "Why'd you leave her? Why'd you lock the gate?" I begin to yell with my orange curls shaking as I cry. I remain in my chair even though I wanna strangle her. Her loss of child shoudn't result in another loss.

"I... I thought it would be safest out there." Carol stammers. She walks away with her head down.

Sure... Sure she thought that. I've seen the way she looks at her. Jealousy. Over Daryl, over child, and most likely youth. I would usually laugh at my own meanness, but I can't find the strength.

Kira sits at my feet and begins t' demand me t' pet her. I give in and cry as I pet her head.

I hear a grunt as Naiomi stirs from her sleep. I immediately tend to her, by (almost) drowning her in liquids and propping her feet up. If this works she should be alright in a day or two.

"Are you feeling-" I begin to ask with some hope left in my voice.

"Like death." She bluntly states.

"Well shit." I say with a chuckle. She laughs as I laugh, and I just accept that she's a little hysteric from this dehydration. She laughs until her sides hurt and I feel her belly.

"She kicked not too long ago." Naiomi smiles.

"I know, Daryl felt it and freaked slick out. He was all over the place giddy." I chuckled.

"When did he-?" She wandered off.

"Nah, he was talking in his sleep. I was asking him questions after he started mumbling, 'cause my mom always said that it was the best way to get what you wanted to know outta a person, and sure enough, he told me the whole experience." I chuckled.

"Look what the cat dragged in." I hear Lori shout with a smile as she hugged a blood drenched Rick.

In tow I see Daryl with the usual holy jeans,sleeveless and blood spattered shirt, and cross bow on his back.

After him is a lankey young man with dark hair and a goatee. Then behind him is a short, broad shouldered man with a full on beard (he looks like he's in his thirties). Lastly, is- I'll be damned. Jackson Reiligh, a boy I went to high school with.... I wonder if he remembers me. This could be bothersome. Surely, we won't keep him that long. Long enough for him to say something. To add to all of this, the one thing all three men have in common, they're wearing orange.

I glance over to Naiomi, who saw Daryl and immediately signaled for a hug and didn't pay attention to anything other than that. As they hug, I smile. She's so happy around him. It reminds me of when I had a class in college over solely making a patient feel comfortable, what makes them uncomfortable, signs of an uncomfortable person , and the health benefits of being happy.

I looked back to the group reuniting only after an hour. The men were already full on discussing what to do with the prisoners. The tall one kept looking at Naiomi. He blinks a couple times, and after Daryl moves away he starts staring, mouth almost agape.

"Naiomi? I'll be damned!" He said with a smile growing from a grin into an ear to ear beam.