Prologue

There's nothing worse than a coffee shop on a rainy day.

The fucking crowd that can find its way inside. Sure, go ahead and step on everyone's feet, yelling your order.

Fucking job.

If I didn't need the money, seriously, I'd have fucked off.

"Ethan!"

Ah, well, if it isn't my boss's melodious and not at all exasperated voice.

"Yeah?"

She's glaring at me. It's almost cute - like that's going to make things better. 

"So, are you getting on with work?"

The audacity. It's all I do from morning till night. But for once, I keep my big mouth shut. My survival instincts are finally kicking in, it seems - or do I hear the anguished wail from my bank account begging me not to self-destruct?

"It's coming, boss!"

She hates it when I call her like that. I don't care. Anyway, when you call your coffee shop "Central Perk" - I hear it's a reference to an old soap. Must have happened in prehistorical times since I've never heard of it - and when you put "Help needed" at your window one day well, you reap what you sow!

I am in the middle of preparing a matcha latte - seriously, those things should be banned, it is so vile. Healthy stuff, my ass! - when I hear the voice.

His voice.

Caramel voice poured directly into my ear.

I hasten to give the customer her infamous drink while looking for whoever in the crowded coffee shop who talks like this.

I don't have to look for it very long.

Body and face of a fallen angel; Blue eyes that should make painters cry with envy;

He has it all - the smile, the voice, the ass too. And even the mischievous wink when he leans against the counter and says:

"A large cappuccino."

That makes me a bit weak in the knees.

"Coming up!" I reply, struggling not to give any of my feelings away.

"Is that all that's coming up?" he asks, mischief dancing in his dark blue eyes.

"I don't know," I reply, playing it cool. "We also have excellent muffins, cookies and other sweets to offer if you have a sweet tooth..."

 He stares at me, a bit dumbfounded and I bite the inside of my cheek not to laugh out loud.

"Nah, that's all right. I don't have this kind of craving right now..."

"All right, Sir," I reply in my blandest tone. 

I'm giggling inside. You can't let that kind of fish know you want to catch it, or you only got "Wham-Bam-Goodbye Sir" and the bitter taste of deception afterwards. I know how that works. So I don't add anything when pulling up and down the levers of the coffee machine, I remain as cool as cucumber as I hand him the cup, even when his fingers graze mine by "accident".

Oh, he knows what he's doing, that's for sure. Teasing me. Giving me all those little glances as he gets a first sip, licking away the whipped cream on his upper lip.

He's pushing all my buttons.

And he knows it.

Give me one opportunity, boy, and I'll put you on your knees. You're gonna love it. I am so sure of myself that I bet all this with Elsa, my colleague, a tall brunette who is also looking up and down Hot Cappuccino Boy like she wants nothing more than to devour him. I can't blame her.

Especially as he wiggles his hips subtly as he walks away.

As if he knows we're both looking at him.

Game on.

☕️☕️☕️

Enjoyed your read? Vote, comment & share!