Chapter 16

I jump off the bus in a neck-breaking move and as soon as I land (abruptly) on the pavement, I start to run as if my life were depending on it. Out of breath, face red and sweaty, I'm sure I'm looking like the very epitome of sexy young god sent here to tempt mortals. On the one hand, I'm sure Liz doesn't care one whit about my appearance this morning. On the other hand, she's going to care very much about my late arrival.

One hour late.

Gosh.

I'm officially dead.

Game over for my barista apron.

At least, I muse, trying to ignore the stitch in my side as I thread my way through the crowded street, I'd have hold it for six months. Not so bad a record, compared to my previous experiences.

I'm panting as if I've just run a marathon when I finally slip in the 'Central perk' through the back door. No need to risk a dressing down in public.

Fortunately, Elsa's face is the first I glimpse as I try to catch my breath again, leaning against the wall.

"Cutie pie! What are you doing here?"

"Elsa... I know... I'm late..."

She frowns, coming closer.

"What did you do to be so red in the face? Something enjoyable at least?" she says, waggling her perfectly plucked eyebrows.

"Elsa, be realistic, here. Do I look like someone having done something enjoyable right now?"

"Nope," she admits, grimacing.

"There you go! I was trying to make up for the time I've lost and..."

"The time you've lost?" she interrupts, frowning all the more.

"Don't make such a face, you're going to get even more wrinkles!" I tease her as I hastily take off my jacket before opening my locker and removing my apron and name tag from it.

"Bunny ears, I happen to love my wrinkles, thank you very much! And you didn't answer – what are you even doing here at this hour?"

I turn back to her, truly puzzled by her question.

"Huh... Elsa, have you forgotten I'm working here?"

At this moment, the door leading to the front of the shop opens and to my stupefaction, I spot Tony, who is usually covering the afternoon shift on weekends. Blood turns to ice in my veins. Oh My God.

Liz has already replaced me!

And that bitch didn't even have the courtesy of informing me!

"I'm going to kill her!"

"Hey!"

Elsa suddenly grips my forearms, forcing me to turn to her.

"Enough with the murdering tendencies, and listen to me, would you?"

"You could have told me..."

"That you're working the afternoon shift from now on?" she completes with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm wor... What do you mean?" I squirm in her grip, trying to keep an eye on Tony, who just waves at me before slipping outside in the backyard and lighting a fag.

"Ethan, we're going to have words if you don't listen to me!" Elsa warns before releasing me.

"But..."

"There's not 'but'! Has your date with Hot Cappuccino Boy turned your head so much that you've already forgotten he has promised to talk with our boss in order for you to be granted the afternoon shift? And this, with a full pay check at the end of the month?"

Oh.

Oh dear.

"Hum... yes?"

I can't help but feeling a bit ashamed at my outburst from earlier. And the fact that Liz has so readily agreed to grant me such an advantage while she's usually as stingy as Old Scrooge himself is truly a mystery.

"I never thought she would accept," I say.

And all this while paying me full time.

I feel my cheeks flushing with shame at this. I've received an unfair advantage and all this because Mister Thomas Junior, heir to the Zanetti empire, has taken a fancy to me, while Elsa, who is standing in front of me, is a single mom of one. Her financial situation seems stable for now, but I know she has been through hard times before.

"Hey, what's in your mind, honey? You're grimacing as if you've been forced to bite in a lemon!" Elsa asks, while stroking my brow with the tip of her forefinger.

"Lovely image," I retort. "And... I didn't think... I mean..."

I sigh, already annoyed at my inability to form a full, articulate sentence.

"Being paid for a full-time job while working half-time, how does it sound to you? Like I've suddenly been given an undeserved one-up, doesn't it?"

Elsa peers at me with a puzzled face before a big smile lights up her whole face.

"Ah honey! You truly worry too much!"

"I don't think so..."

"Well, I wouldn't recommend telling this to all the employees," she relents. "But to me? As if I would hold it against you! Listen, honey bear..."

"Elsa, your skill at giving me nicknames..."

"Is truly a work of art, I know! Now, listen..."

She peers at me with such intensity I can't do anything else but comply.

"When a golden opportunity such as this one falls into your lap, dear, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth, right? You don't question its value or how it's fair, you don't fret. You just take it and later you're going to thank Hot Cappuccino Boy for it, right?"

"Hum," I grumble.

"And now..."

She takes it by the shoulders, spins me around.

"Hey!"

"You're going to take a coffee on the house..."

"Elsa!"

"... and afterwards you're going to take some fresh air outside while waiting for your shift, got it?"

That's how five minutes later, I find myself outside the coffee shop, my cup of coffee in my hand and a few hours to waste. I sigh.

That would teach me to flirt with hot strangers!

☕️☕️☕️ 

Enjoyed your read? Vote, comment & share!