Chapter 25

"Hey."

We're in the middle of the crowded embankment, between the queue for the London eye we just go out of and other popular attractions. Aden is still holding my hand, but I can see the worry on his handsome face's features.

"What's the matter?" I ask, trying to engage with him head-on.

But he simply shakes his head.

"Since we didn't get to enjoy the London eye..."

"Due to no fault of yours..." I try to protest, but he's carrying on, ignoring me:

"I just hope I can make up for all this with what I've planned next!"

A smidgen of confidence seeps back into his voice as he takes the lead, careful not to lose me in the throng of Londoners and tourists alike.

I give up trying to get for him to talk to me. Besides, that's not really the ideal place to engage in a heart-to-heart. Nevertheless, it's only a minor delay: as soon as we set foot into a more private setting, I resolve to take the bull by the horns and sound him out.

To my surprise, we don't get to his car. Instead, we only walk for a few minutes in small alleys London is famous for. Aden stops in front of what looks like a beauty salon/spa.

"Ready for a bit of relaxation?" he teases.

"As long as I get to have you all for myself..." I tease back.

I can notice its unease has not disappeared completely, but he seems to do better.

We're welcomed by a young employee, who after checking Aden's booking slot and blushing when he shoots her a charming smile, leads us into a light, airy corridor.

She opens a door to what seems a large, dimly-lit room.

"Here are your private facilities, gentlemen! Here is the dressing room, where you can leave your clothes, and next door the two-persons hot tub is waiting for you! If you want a couple massage, drop me a call and I'll get our specialist for you!"

"Thanks," Aden says before leading me gently into the room and closing the door behind us.

As soon as we're alone, I ask him:

"Okay, care to enlighten me on what we're doing here?"

"Well, I would have loved to sweep you off your feet and take you away to the beach, to fully enjoy the sunset experience..."

In the dim glow of the lamps above our heads, I can see him biting his lower lip, as if he were suddenly doubting his choice. This brutal lack of confidence, something he has almost always shown in our time together, is unsettling. I walk closer till we are chest to chest. I put my arms around his slender waist, my hands lying flat against the thin material of his jacket. I can smell the light earthy tones of his cologne. Mixed with the light scent wafting from the room next door, it makes my heart dizzy. I nestle my face against his neck, pausing a few moments in silence, just enjoying his presence, the quiet around us, the warmth of his skin. I feel him taking a deep breath. His heart is thrumming in his chest – a quick, elevated pulse.

"What's the matter, Aden?" I whisper against his skin.

I feel more than I hear the hitch in his breath.

He swallows heavily.

His hand is trembling as he runs it lightly through my hair.

"I'm... I'm sorry."

His voice sounds strangled, heavy with remorse and self-remonstrance.

I glance up at him. My heart pulses painfully at the sight of his crushed look.

"Sorry for what?"

"For what happened back there," he replies, eyes closed, with a slight nod of his head. "I... I should have... I should have intervened! I should have done more!"

His voice has grown louder on these words, till he's almost screaming it. I draw away, put my hands around his face.

"Aden..."

He shakes his head.

"Aden, look at me."

My thumbs stroke over his cheekbones.

"Aden," I say more firmly.

He finally obeys, glancing at me before dropping his gaze. That won't do.

On an impulse, I kiss him. Hard. My tongue licking his lips till after a few surprised seconds, he comes back to his sense and kisses me back. I draw him closer, deepening the kiss. My hands have found their way to his hips of their own accord, but I want to be closer still and so slide my arms around Aden's back, holding him tightly, our chests touching as my tongue strokes over his.

It's really a delightful snog and I hate to put an end to what may be a perfect prelude to other activities, but it's not all what I'm looking to achieve here.

I draw back a little. Our breaths mingle together and I feel a deep stirring in my groin as my eyes linger on his red, puffy lips.

"If that's your reaction to me proving myself to be a coward..." he starts, still panting.

"No," I retort. "That's me telling you it's okay."

I kiss chastely on his mouth, on his chin, my nose nudging his. I can lose myself for hours doing this, but the words rolling on my tongue need to be heard.

"It's okay to be craven?" he murmurs.

"You weren't a coward. You weren't craven. I expect it's the first time you're so directly confronted to homophobia?"

He shrugs while I kiss him just behind his jaw.

"That's no excuse..."

"No excuse is ever needed in this case. What I'm telling you is it's logical to freeze when you're caught by surprise. We were having a very romantic moment and that guy just shows up, attacking us out of the blue. It doesn't make you a coward or anything else simply because you didn't react immediately to his abuse..."

He's kissing me back, on the nose, the brow, bending down to kiss my neck, but his gaze is still thoughtful.

"But you... You were brave enough."

"That's not bravery or courage or something else."

I sigh. Closing my eyes. Letting a bitter smile curl up my mouth.

"That's habit. Habit born from my outings in the clubs, the bars but also from my everyday life..."

Memories come back to the surface.

The looks. The remarks. All these words getting under my skin, the mocking laughter still ringing in my ears...

When I open again my eyelids, Aden is staring at me. There's no pity in his expression – and thank God, I couldn't stand the idea of him feeling such an emotion for me – just understanding mixed with compassion.

"I'm sorry," he mutters under his breath. "Sorry that you have to go through this shit."

I let my smile be kissed into oblivion by his very skilled mouth.

Gradually, kiss after kiss, our embrace grows more heated until I'm definitely on the verge of forgetting everything that happened before and creaming my pants.

With a tremendous effort, I back away a little, our heavy breath the only sound now troubling the deep silence around us.

"Can we just agree that this shithead is the only one to blame and move on?" I ask.

Aden shoots me a relieved smile.

"Okay. Let's move on. Now, come, I have a surprise ready for you!"

☕️☕️☕️

Enjoyed your read? Vote, comment and share!