Chapter 45

The next day, I join Aden for a date officially composed of a movie and then a restaurant – unless he has another surprise in store for me? I still haven't got Reggie's call out of my head. I've already asked myself a hundred times why I didn't turn him down. Or just blocked his number. Why I asked him what time was their little party. Seriously, Ethan, you should know better !

I come out of Leicester Square tube station in a fool mood. It all fades away as soon as I see Aden, just a few meters away. He takes my breath away - impeccably dressed, his black wavy hair perfectly trimmed. He hasn't seen me yet, and I'm about to surprise him when an old woman, a rose seller, approaches him. I expect him to politely turn her down, as any Londoner would. But he won't. To my surprise, he starts the conversation with a smile, and instead of taking a rose, he buys her the whole bouquet! He gets a beautiful smile from the saleswoman for his trouble.

I can't resist it this time.

"Are you waiting for other potential dates, with this lot?" I'm joking, trying to ignore my thundering heart.

Aden gives me a smirk, charming as he is.

"I'm only waiting for one," he replies, "and he deserves every rose I can give him."

"It's terribly cheesy, you know" I try to joke around while gently taking the bouquet from his hands.

I try to hide my emotion, but obviously I can't. Aden has to see it because he kisses me tenderly on the cheek.

"Cheesy but true," he whispers to me.

I am about to reply when we are interrupted by the woman, who has come back to us again.

"Congratulations!" she exclaims. "For the proposal," she adds, seeing our startled looks.

I'm blushing up to my ears while I'm expecting Aden to giggle.

But he's not laughing.

He's not laughing.

Hell, he's not going to...

"It will be for next year," he says nicely to the saleswoman, who says "Oh, sorry!" while shooting me a glance full of incomprehension, as if she really doesn't understand why Aden isn't already proposing to me on his knees.

We walk a few steps away, towards the cinema in front of which a long line is already waiting.

"Give me the bouquet, I'll put it in the car," Aden whispers to me.

"Okay, I'll take our turn in line. (And because I can't help it.) You weren't serious about that, were you?"

"About what?" he asks with an innocent look that doesn't deceive me in the least.

"You know very well what!"

He starts laughing, gives me a wink before he walks away. I shake my head. This guy's going to make me crazy.

After a movie to which I pay little attention to – the fault lies with the available double loveseats and of course, with Aden's presence next to me – we slowly walk away, hand in hand, towards the restaurant.

"I booked a table at Mon Plaisir, I hope you'll like it," Aden tells me, his eye sparkling with mischief.

"Care to tell me this in English?"

"Can't. That's the name of the restaurant. Mon Plaisir," he slowly articulates, not that I understand better than the first time. "Means 'my pleasure' in English."

"My pleasure, heh? Aptly named, I should say. Since when do you know... ?"

"French?" he completes. "I spent six months in Paris for my studies, still know some words here and there. Why? You like it?"

"Not in the least," I reply, trying to ignore – without much success – this absolutely lethal combination for my libido of his voice declaring unknown words to me in this singing language.

Aden laughs softly. Then, leaning towards me, his breath caressing my ear:

"You drive me crazy. I want to have you all to myself tonight."

"That's not fair!" I groan.

"All is fair in love and war!" he answers before pressing his lips on mine.

The kiss is short but intense. When I step back, I'm already out of breath. I run my tongue on my lips, enjoying the taste lingering there.

"We're really going to get an ASBO if you keep this up..."

"Come on," he says, taking my hand. "I'm hungry," he adds with a look so hot that I can tell what kind of hunger he's talking about. "My pleasure awaits us!"

☕️☕️☕️

Enjoyed your read? Vote, share and comment!