Chapter 23

We stroll hand in hand along the embankment. The air is balmy and warm in this evening, inviting everyone to get out and enjoying the sunset. Perfect weather for a date – or more. And that "more" is weighing on my mind as we slowly walk closer to the impressive London eye's structure. Am I really ready to fake having public sex in one of the pods and risking an ASBO? Every time the question crosses my mind, I glance up at Aden and all my fears fade away. His whispered "Loving you" still echoes in my ears.

In my mind.

I've never received a love declaration before.

And I'm afraid I'm quickly developing a taste for it.

The queue is rather long but moves at a decent rate. Aden stays very close beside me, the back of his free hand just brushing against my back. I look over at one point and he gives me a secretive, private smile, one that has more than a hint of something dark and slightly suggestive. It sends a shiver down my spine.

I never thought I'd be up for some bout of public sex – even if it's fake.

I never thought either I'd be on the brink of falling hard and fast for a guy.

If I'm honest, I might have done it earlier at the time of my first interactions with men, when the novelty of being intimate with them makes my thighs press together and my hands tremble.

But after a few months, the novelty was wearing off and the fact that I had to leave my mother's house meant that I had other things to care about such as finding some means of subsistence if I didn't want to end up homeless.

I'm unpleasantly reminded of Reggie's call the day before.

My brother, this eternal Blue Beret trying to build some bridge between me and the relatives I've left behind. Is he even aware that I've burnt these bridges when I was obliged to fend for myself? Does he not truly realise the pointlessness of the task?

"Hello gents!" a young woman greets us, startling back to reality. "Do you have tickets?"

"We do actually," Aden intervenes before I can get a single word out of my mouth. "There is the print order."

I shoot him a surprised glance, he answers with a wink as the woman checks the document.

"Sounds perfectly in order. Wish you an enjoyable experience!"

If only you knew.

"You've made reservations? Still taking me for granted?" I murmur as the queue slowly moves forward.

"No..."

His voice feels warm and I relax against him as soon as he puts an arm around my waist. Another thing which I'm starting to enjoy is the fact that he's obviously ready to be quite demonstrative in public.

"Just being cautious if you did say yes to this... experience."

I snort but let it go. Fact is, I'm already enjoying this experience, regardless of the final result.

As we reach the ticket booth, tickets are indeed waiting for us.

We end up in a capsule with eighteen other people. According to the video ad I've been paying attention while waiting for our turn, maximum capacity in a single pod is twenty-eight, so it could be fuller. The ride is about thirty minutes. As soon as we set foot inside, Aden leads me to a spot on the side overlooking the Thames and the Houses of Parliament. Only then does he stop to hold my hand. He stands very close behind me, arms draped over my shoulders. We look like the perfect couple and if I judge correctly the smile shot our way by a tiny old lady standing a few feet from us, she obviously believes it.

The wheel moves slowly, smoothly, and for the first few minutes Aden just lets me enjoy the view as they rise into the air. London in its full glory, new concrete and old stone bathed in the sunset light, stretching like a lazy cat as far as the eye can see.

I turn my head a little, whispering to Aden, whose breath is tickling my ear.

"You know we only have thirty minutes?"

I deliberately cant his hips backward a little, subtly rubbing my arse against his crotch in reminder of what we came here for. I feel him pressing forward in answer, a low hum resonating in my ear, both amused and aroused.

"I know," he growls against my cheek. "But now that we're here..."

"What? You've changed your mind?" I ask, a bit surprised at this abrupt change.

"Not really. It's just that..."

His fingers leave my shoulders, drop to my waist. I let out a small gasp when he starts stroking my hipbones through my jeans.

"I don't want to share you with anyone."

He lifts one hand, softly grips my chin. There's a new urgency in his gaze as it meets mine. I let my head fall against his shoulder, all but begging for a kiss.

It's a good thing Aden is taller than me otherwise it'd be very awkward in this position (been there, done that with a guy my height, wasn't worth the crick in the neck which ensues.)

But with him, that's just perfect. Soft, warm lips on mine, one hand stroking the line of my jaw, the other holding me close in a firm embrace.

Our bodies react instinctively, sliding against each other's, like heat-seeking missiles moving blindly toward the target.

His tongue stroking over mine, the sheer passion surging in our veins leaving no room for doubt as to how much sentiment he is actually prepared for as far as the two of them go. It's wonderful. I feel light-headed from the kiss, from Aden's proximity, from the very public setting, but also from the sheer relief of knowing that Aden does want me. Wants em enough to prepare this, to plan this in advance. I can already imagine an endless string of enchanting dates but also more mundane scenes, something I've craved without even realising it fully – the ordinary couple life. Living together, falling asleep in each other's arms, kissing (and more) on the sofa, lazy lunches and breakfasts, sharing the bills as well as the household chores... Might this be on the cards?

Our bubble of happiness is abruptly popped up when someone starts roughly shaking Aden's shoulder.

We break away suddenly, both a bit dazzled.

A man is standing a few feet from us and in his gaze are reflected feelings I've already seen a hundred – make it a thousand times.

Unease.

Anger.

Disgust.

And before he even opens his mouth, I know what will come out of it.

☕️☕️☕️

Enjoyed your read? Vote, share and comment!