I love You

"James - please" she whispered, covering her mouth with both of her hands as her voice cracked. She wanted to run now more than ever. The look on his face was too much to bear. It was broken. She'd broken James Potter.

"I mean why would you?" He said to himself quietly with a sad chuckle. "You're Lily Evans. You're perfect and witty and clever - why would you love a prat like me?"

"I'm not perfect." She whispered, tears falling silently from the corners of her eyes.

He smiled sadly as he stared out the window, watching as the snow coated the grass outside. "To me you are."

"I'm not" She argued, not bothering to wipe away the tears as she took a step nearer to him. "I'm a coward, James. I'm foolish and - and horrible and selfish. If I was perfect I - I wouldn't be afraid to" She choked, wishing she hadn't taken that step towards him as he turned around and faced her once more.

"Wouldn't be afraid to what?"

She sighed, fresh tears fighting their way to the surface as she lifted her head to meet his gaze. The look in his eyes broke her heart. It was loving and kind, despite the fact that she had just responded in the worst way possible to someone telling you that they loved you. She expected his eyes to be cold and resentful, but when he looked at her, she felt warm again, she felt at home. And that in itself is what scares Lily Evans the most about James Potter.

"Do you know how terrifying the idea of loving you is, James" she asked quietly, her small hand reaching out and grabbing a handful of his jumper, taking another step closer to him. "I know that once I admit it, once I admit that... that I love you; there's no going back. I'm going to feel this way forever; I'm going to love you forever. And when you wake up one day, and you don't feel the same anymore - I'll just be stuck here, loving you like I do now."

The silence was back; but something was different this time. It wasn't cold and suffocating, instead it was warm, comforting even. She'd finally said what she needed to say, what she needed him to hear. James's fave has softened as he placed his hands on either side of her face, his thumbs wiping the tears off her cheeks.

"You're right, Evans. You are foolish"

"I know"