31.

29th April, 1963

The next morning, Paul woke up in an unfamiliar place. He looked around at his surroundings, eventually noticing the empty Moses basket next to him.

He was in John's room, at John's house. In John's bed...

The man's heart sped up, and when he turned to his other side and saw John lying there, peacefully sleeping.

Oh God, Oh God oh shit...

Why am I in John's bed?

Am I-

The man looked underneath the bedsheets, sighing in relief when he saw that his pants were still on. They mustn't have done anything like that.

Paul wouldn't have allowed himself to anyway, not until he had definitely broken up with Jane. He wasn't that indecent.

That was the moment he realised he couldn't hold off breaking up with Jane for any longer. He had already spent the night away from home, and he didn't remember even calling her to tell her he was staying at John's house.

Paul stayed lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling and trying to rethink the night before. He remembered the boys finishing making the cot and then painting the walls blue, and then heading into John's room at like 10:30 pm. They made out for a short while and then both passed out.

Looking next to him, he saw John fast asleep, eyes and mouth closed and snoring cute and lightly. Paul didn't want to leave, but he knew he had to.

But he also didn't want to wake John up, he looked so peaceful when he slept... However that plan went down the drain as soon as Paul's foot stepped on a creaky floorboard near the door when he was putting his t-shirt on.

"Mmmh, Paulie?" John whispered out as he stirred in the bed.

Paul froze, looking back to his boyfriend who was turning around to face him, slowly.

"Go back to sleep, baby."

"W-Where are you goin'?" John asked, rubbing his closed eyes with his right hand.

"'M just goin' home. I think I'm gonna break it off with Jane now."

John's eyes widened at those words.

"Really?" He asked, sitting up in bed.

"Yeah, it's been long enough." He sighed. "Anyway, you go back to sleep, darlin'."

"But will you be okay?"

"Yeah, Johnny. I'll be fine." Paul smiled, softly. "I'll come back here after... I'll even pick up Jules from Mimi's on my way back, hm?"

"Y-Yeah..." John agreed, closing his eyes again. "Night."

Paul chuckled to himself slightly.

"Night Johnny."

And with that, he closed the bedroom door behind him, trying to think what in the world he was going to say to Jane.

————————————————————

From what Paul could see from the gate to his and Jane's house, she had not yet opened the curtains in the living room or their bedroom (which was at the front).

When he got to the front door, his hand grabbed his keys from his back pocket and shakily inserted them into the keyhole. With one turn, it unlocked.

He pushed it open, and could hear the TV playing in the living room. As he closed the door behind him, he knew she was awake. But the fact she didn't greet him at the door was not a good sign.

"Jane?" He asked, pushing the living room door open slowly, still dressed in the same clothes from the night before.

"Where were you?" She asked, her eyes not moving from the TV infront.

"I was at John's overnight." He spoke, looking down to the floor.

"Why didn't you call me?" Her voice sounded a mixture of hurt and fed up.

"I forgot." Which wasn't a lie.

Jane just sighed and nodded. The man watched closely as she slowly stood up, heading for the TV and turning it off. She walked towards the kitchen, which could be accessed from the living room, without even looking at Paul.

"Hey, Jane..." He followed her inside.

"What?"

"I- I think we need to talk."

She froze, beginning to turn around.

"Yeah, you're right..." She agreed, her voice sounding tired. "C-Can I go first?"

"Yeah..."

"This isn't working, Paul."

Wait. Did she just-

He took his vision away from the ground, and looked into her eyes. They looked tired, sad and overall just unhappy.

"I think... I think we need to break up."

"Jane..."

"No, Paul it's been comin' for a long time."

"I know... I know it has." He agreed.

"Wait, you feel the same?" She asked, her voice hesitant.

"Yeah. I guess it... It hasn't been the same since we moved in together."

"No. You're right." She sighed.

"It's gonna be better for both of us if we just split up and... And move on."

He felt guilt in saying that, as he already had.

"It will..."

There was a silence in the kitchen.

"Can we still be friends though?" She asked, timidly.

"Yeah." He nodded. "Of course."

She took a few steps forward, placing her hands on his shoulders and pulling him in for a tight hug. He hugged back straight away.

Paul was incredibly thankful that it hadn't been a bad breakup. He didn't want it to end like that, and hopefully the two of them could be friends without it being awkward.

"Don't worry, Jane. You can stay here... I'll get my stuff and I'll- I'll leave."

Jane pulled away from him, looking carefully into his eyes.

"But where are you gonna go?"

"I can see if John will let me stay there?"

But he knew he was staying at John's anyway, he just didn't want to tell her that incase she got... Suspicious.

"Are you sure?" Her eyes were filled with uncertainty.

"Yeah." Paul smiled. "I am so thankful this didn't end with one persons clothes thrown out into the garden or cut up into pieces."

Jane chuckled.

"Hm. It still might." She joked.

"Anyway, I'll go and grab my things." Paul sighed, seeing Jane nod.