Chapter 30: Safe Haven

Chapter 30

Ava Marquez-Petrakis

"Por favor, cariño! Slow down!"

Snickering to myself, I pushed the horse to run faster. Cool wind lapped on my face. Trees and golden leaves zoomed in on my vision as we jumped over fences and trunks of trees. I heard an explenetive from the man behind me before I heard him urged his horse to catch up to mine. The steady hooves of my majestic horse picked up its speed as he felt the closeness of the man hounding us.

"Ava please! I said slow down!"

Cracking a laughter, I looked behind me and grinned at the worried frown on his face. He flashed me a grim and annoyed expression. Winking at him, I looked backed on the road and gleamed at a trunk of tree in the distance.

Eyes squinting in concentration, hands gripping the reins, and back hunched forward, I guided my horse over the tree trunk and gracefully landed on the other side.

My jaw dropped at the beautiful sight before me. Miles and miles of blue water stretched before me. The salty and crisp wind was proof that I wasn't imagining things.

There really was an actual sea before me! Glancing back at the man who was wildly looking for me, he glared at me before turning his attention to the sea. His eyes widened then it fell on me again before he shook his head and galloped beside me.

"I told you to slow down." He glared at me before he softened his features and shook his head "Must you always not listen to me? You'll turn me into a grandfather soon."

Rolling my eyes at him, I pouted and grinned "You wanted me to gallop like a turtle."

"Because this is your first time riding!" He vehemently responded "Please cariño, what if you broke your neck or fell of your horse?"

I giggled before leaning to kiss him on the cheek "Stop worrying Iñigo. I'm a fast learner as you can tell."

"I truly can." He drawled and sighed.

"Hush, I know how to prefectly ride a beast." I said, wantonly grinning at him as I raked my hands on his chest. Pulling back as I saw his eyes darkened, I urged my horse to go down the path towards the beach "Come on I want to go to the beach."

He shook his head before leading me down the trail towards the beach.

True enough, Iñigo toured me in their hacienda. We visited the vineyard where I saw his employees pick and manage the grapes for the wine. I was amazed at their efficiency in running the winery.

But what I truly loved the most was the stables and the horses. They had cattles to feed and grow. The moment I saw the horses, I begged Iñigo to teach me.

He was a great teacher and I was a fast learner. Before the sun can set, I was already running with him worriedly tailing behind me.

Stopping at a nearby tree house, my eyebrows rose as we dismounted our horses. We tied our horses on the tree and looked back at the old yet sturdy tree house.

"You never told me you had a tree house in front of a beach." I asked him, eyeing the tree house that almost looked worn.

Iñigo's eyes were filled with nostalgia as he gazed back up at the trew house before turning to me with a small smile on his lips "I never had the chance to tell you of my safe haven. I used to come here whenever Mama and Papa fought."

Looking back at the house, he gripped the stairs and began to climb up "I'll go and get some blankets so we can lie on the beach."

Turning his back on me, I watched him go upstairs and enter his tree house. I let him wander for a few more minutes. I knew how significant this place for him. If this was his safe haven back when he was a kid then this place showed his pain he masked when he was a kid.