Chapter Eight - Destructive Flames

"I'm taking that as a yes. Guys, let's go see if Xander needs any help." The assistant was paralyzed and didn't know what to do as the group walked right past her. "Yo! You need some help?" Huddling around Xander, each of them looked at Corey's burn marks and dripping blood. Each burn was black and leaking blood. Xander looked towards the group and noticed Carlos's gauntlet. Holding his breath, he looked away from them and helped Corey up to his feet, "Mark it down. Hybrid Test 2 was a failure. Corey ended up with bone fractures, fatal burns, and exhaustion of stamina. Please take him to our finest medical room. Make sure he gets what he needs." His voice was loud and filled with regret. The scientists around nodded and took out their clipboards as they took Corey to a gurney. Once they safely lifted him onto the gurney, he faced the group with a disappointed look, "I'm... very sorry you had to see that. It's time we move on to you. Gareth, regarding your choice and how your gauntlet reacted towards your DNA. You won't be taking the Will Test. Now, Angel, Luis, and Anthony. All of your gauntlets have tested you positive. You're all compatible for the rest. If you're taking the test. Please go see my assistant scientists and ask them to get you suited up. Carlos, can we have a word please? In private." Angel, Anthony, and Luis basically raced towards the scientists to get ready. Not even thinking about what just happened to Corey, but the look on Xander's face made Carlos think the words about to come out of his mouth weren't going to be pleasant.

Gareth went ahead and followed the rest of the guys while Xander pulled Carlos to one of the darkest corners of the facility. "You saw what just happened there?" Steadily nodding, "Yeah... yeah I did. You just tried to give the Will Test to a Hybrid." "You don't know much, so I'll give you the condensed version. Hybrids have a certain DNA that is compatible but at the same time not. You can still take the test but it can destroy you. Just like Corey back there. One of the best guys I knew and he took the risk. He probably won't be able to walk for months. I wouldn't advise you to take this test under any circumstances." Carlos chuckled at the sight of Xander jumbling up his words, "Don't worry Xander. There's no reason for me to take it if there's a chance I'll get hurt. I'd rather just give it my best shot. Don't worry about me. Let's just go see my boys pass." Extending out his arm with a smile on his face, Xander reacted the same and shook his hand. "Sounds like a plan. They're already getting into their pods now."

After their small conversation, Carlos and Gareth stood alongside Xander as the rest of the group were being strapped into their pod. Before the doors of the pods were closed, Carlos waved for their attention. They all looked towards his causal smile, "We expect you guys to be better than ever after this test. Give us a run for our money while we save the world." Angel spoke up quickly, "Better watch your back Carlos. I'll do it on my own." Everyone laughed towards his response which made him bitter and angry. "Don't get it twisted buddy. Whatever you say is on you. Make us believe it." "Got yourself one hell of a team Angel. Don't let it go to waste." With a single nod, Angel's pod door closed and the others followed along right away.

"Starting scan now. Are you ready sir?" One of the scientist's hands were hovering above a lever but they all looked towards Xander first. "Commence the operation." Tugging at the lever, they pushed it all the way down and the pod's lights came on. Then at the push of a button. A liquid was injected into every pod and all the scientists moved towards their computers which kept popping up stats and numbers all over. "How does this even work?" "It's pretty simple to explain but it's complicated to contain. Everyone has a DNA strand inside of them but there's a certain part of that strand that is dormant. In your world, they just look at it like a normal strand because they don't have the technology we have. When you look deeper, there are molecules that aren't activated because that's just how you're born. This test reactivates those cells and boosts your overall stats. Speed, strength, reflexes, and overall health. It's like reaching physical perfection. The process is by injecting the subject with a serum we developed that targets those very cells. In this process, the fat inside your body will burn away and your muscles will be the only thing left. There is some grey area but you'll be in perfect health and you'll look better than ever. This also makes it easier for you to use your abilities. Everyone in the academy usually takes this test but those who haven't are either not compatible or couldn't take it." "Take what exactly? Pain?" "Exactly. When you undergo this test. Your body is out to the test. Imagine you being put through all the pain you would've gone through if you worked up to this level of health and physical condition. It's like a shortcut but not really. The only thing you'll be happy about is that it won't take as much time. Only willpower to get yourself through it."