Chapter 4- A Date With Destiny

Destiny was the perfect local club for us. Not too exclusive and not too shabby, landing smack-dab right in the middle. We had been going there since we both got jobs in the city. As time passed, it felt way too familiar to let go.

Being a former party animal had its perks, everyone who worked at the club knew me and I was in everyone's good graces, except the people I puked on. They didn't seem quite taken with me for some reason.

At the entrance, underneath the bright neon 'Destiny' sign I found Jane. She looked good, just like she always did. Her curly, black hair covered with streaks of red highlights and her substantial frame looking effortlessly good in her dark clothes.

"Tetris!! I was planning to murder you, if you didn't show up." She said and pulled me into a hug. I laughed as I hugged her back.

"I was thinking about buying a bulletproof vest on the way here, just in case but then I remembered that if you really wanted to kill me, you'd chase me with an axe and wouldn't care if the entire world saw you."

She chuckled, hitting me playfully on my arm.

"You're right."

"So how are things at work? Made any sick graphics lately?"

Jane was a graphic designer but she was also one of those people who did the branding stuff for companies. I never remembered her job title, I could barely remember mine.

I, on the other hand, was just a plain-old accountant. Not my dream job, I admit but I was okay with it. Okay with being stable, finally.

"Yes, just did a logo for this company. What do you expect me to say? I was busy designing logos all day, and haven't got time for side gigs lately." She said, rolling her eyes.

I patted her back.

"Well, we can take your mind off those boring logos in there." I said, nodding towards the entrance. She smiled and strode forward, I followed her.

Destiny looked like just any other club. The blinding shade of the blinking neon lights, the bodies pressed against each other and the louder-than-God music testing your earbuds.

I breathed in the familiar odour of sweat, alcohol, distant candles and smoke.

"Missed this place?" Jane asked, practically shouting in my ear so that I could hear her over the music.

"Not really," I admitted, turning towards the bar.

"Come on, let loose Tristan. You haven't been yourself ever since Martin. It's time to move on." She said, following me.

"I have moved on, Jane." I said, with a sigh. Rick the bartender chose that moment to turn towards me.

"A Bourbon on the rocks, please." I sat down.

"Scotch, please."

I turned to look at Jane with wide eyes.

"What? I just feel like it's going to be a long night," She said, sitting down on the stool. "Stop lying to yourself, Tris. If you have moved on, why don't you go out anymore? All you do is go to that coffee shop, to work and then come back home. You can't stop living your life."

"Correction, I went to the park too."

"That does not matter and you know that. You know what I mean, Tristan."

"Yeah, I..." But I couldn't find anything to say. Thankfully, Rick, the angel with perfect timing - lord bless him, arrived with our orders.

I didn't even say anything, just took a huge sip, savouring the taste and letting it sink in.

"Tristan."

I turned to look at Jane. She was worried. I could tell from the way her eyebrows were furrowed and she was twiddling her thumb.

"Don't worry, Jane. I'll be okay. It just- after everything that happened I feel like I don't.. I-I felt like I needed a break from all this. Maybe, it's about time that I ended that break..."

"Yes, it is. It has been a month." She said, patting my shoulder.

I took a deep breath, sipping my drink.

"Yes, you are right. You are right." I said, with a smile.

"So, you up for some dancing?" She asked, a wild look I knew all too well in her eyes. I quickly drank the rest of the drink.

"You know it!" I grinned.

Before dancing, I went to the DJ and whispered a song in his ear. He raised his eyebrows but grinned nonetheless.

"Which one is it?" Jane asked as I made my way back to her.

"You'll see," I said, taking her hand and guiding her towards the dance floor.

As soon as the first few chords of the song started playing, she started laughing.

"Really, Tetris?" She said, her laughter barely audible above the music.

"Really!" I said, with a wink.

The King of Rock 'N' Roll by Prefab sprout started playing.The song we danced to as we grew up. The amazingly, nonsensically, beautiful song that we both loved.

Hot dog, Jumping frog...

And I was dancing. I was shaking my body to the rhythm, my hands moving in the empty space, my head bobbing - I was dancing.

I was smiling. My teeth glistening, enveloped in a bright grin. My eyes glimmering, reminiscing everything I had missed for the past month. I felt like me again.

Albuquerque...

I started jumping and sliding on the dance floor. Jane started laughing.

I didn't care who saw or what they thought. All I cared about was that my favorite song was playing, my best friend was dancing and laughing in front of me and I was having the time of my life.

I smiled as I took Jane's hands in mine and started moving them all over the place, trying to make a wave. She laughed, trying to stop me.

"It's not like you dance that well anyway. Let me help you." I said, playfully.

She laughed but she let me do it anyway. At the center of the stage, me and her, shoes sliding across the floor, bodies jumping with the beat, arms all over the place, almost hitting other people.

And for the first time since he left.

I didn't miss him.