Chapter 14- Lunaville

Luke left shortly after finishing his beverage, he had a photoshoot to capture. I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed by his departure. A flashback of the last time he left came to my mind and I wondered whether this time, I would ever get to see him again.

Having finished my coffee a few minutes later, I began the strenuous task of taking a cab to work. Except when I checked my wallet at the checkout, it had just enough money to pay for the coffee. I fished inside it, at its corners and edges but I could neither find my credit card nor some spare change. A brief image of my credit card still sitting comfortably on my nightstand flashed before my eyes. I cursed inwardly.

Being the parasitically codependent friend I was, I immediately called Jane.

"Hey, do you think you could pick me up? I need to go to work." I said, knowing the answer already.

"Te-freaking-ris, I am already at work, you forgetful 1984 game's namesake." She said. Jane being Jane was of course - incredibly punctual. Of course she was at work twenty minutes before it even started. I sighed.

"Hey, how about you call up your new boy toy? I am sure Alejandro would be more than happy to see the sight of your oh-so chimpanzee-like face." I could practically hear her moving her eyebrows suggestively.

I made a disgruntled and disgusted noise.

"Oh, come on. He is your last resort."

She was right. He was.

So, with regret chipping away at my heart before I even made the choice, I dialed up the Damsel in Lobster-ess; feeling my heart thumping against my chest.

**************************

His Toyota Corolla pulled up so smoothly in front of me that I could swear it was mocking me. How dare you, reasonably priced car, mock my inability to remember where my credit card is. I could barely remember my own middle name half the time, what did you expect? Besides I am sure the car didn't remember anything since it didn't have a brain, so who's the winner now?

Times must really have been desperate if I had to compare my memory to a car's lack of a memory.

I got in, urging my thoughts to excuse themselves off a cliff.

"Hey," Alejandro said, offering me a cool grin.

"Hi." I chimed back, without stuttering. One for Tetris, zero for the car.

"So, where do you work exactly?" He asked after we sat in the car for two minutes of awkward silence. Oh right, I hadn't told him the address. I inwardly facepalmed myself and told him the address.

For some reason, I was hyper aware of everything throughout the entire car ride. The ever-present smell of strawberries in the car, Alejandro's cologne and the distance between his left hand resting on the side of his seat and mine resting on the hand-rest of mine.

There was silence which I didn't feel the need to fill. I was aware of the seconds as the silence stretched wide between us, until all that was, was us and the silence. But the silence was not an incessant one, gnawing away at our insides - no - it was a comfortable one, whose shade you could settle under and mold into.

When we arrived at my workplace I was almost reluctant to get out. But when I looked at the fact that I had two minutes left before I was officially late, I scrambled out of the car as if my pants were on fire. Alejandro laughed at my less than graceful exit.

I smiled at him. "See you later." I said, with a smile.

"Oh yeah, I was just thinking about that. Would you give me the honor of taking you out on a date tonight?" He said, his eyes glimmering with hope, his voice drawing me in.