Chapter 11- Can't outrun Destiny

I had expected him to go home to at least change his shirt. Instead, he took off his shirt and buttoned up his coat. The fact that I could still see the bare skin of his collarbone didn't help me at all.

Why was I being tortured like this? What had I done to deserve this?

"I might have lost my appetite but I sure as hell could use a drink." He said, his eyes shrouded by his - why hadn't I noticed how enticingly thick his eyebrows before.

"Um, sure." I mumbled, still staring intently at his eyebrows. He grinned, flashing me perfectly white teeth and turned to walk out of the restaurant.

So, that is how we left, a tattered shirt dangling from his hand, followed closely by the gaping eyes of rich, useless snobs.

The nearest place to have a drink was unfortunately - Destiny. I didn't want to take this date I planned to never see again, to a place I spent a lot of time in. What if he liked the place and started coming here? That would result in a lot of awkward interactions and I was intent on avoiding awkward interactions.

I had to make this the worst club experience he had ever had.

We walked into Destiny, I deliberately walked through the crowded clutter of sweaty dancing bodies, just to make sure that Alejandro bumped into half-drunk, sweaty people. He followed me, not a hint of discomfort on his face. He was still bloody smiling, I felt a sudden urge to smack him right across his face. I was sure that would make sure he stayed out of my way in the future but there was always the possibility that he was a masochist and that would make things even worse. So, I kept my hands to myself, bumping into sweaty bodies, withholding the incessant urge to spontaneously combust.

Under the glare of the flickering neon lights, Alejandro took my hand in his and walked to the bar.

"Wouldn't want to lose you here, would I?" He said, giving me a grin which made my knees grow weak.

"Yep." I mumbled, abruptly turning towards the bartender.

"Strawberry Hill for both of us." I said, plastering a smile on my face.

Strawberry Hill was the cheapest, most non-alcoholic, worst wine this bar served. I had to make sure Alejandro got the best experience, didn't I?

Alejandro raised his eyebrow at me but I just shrugged, his smile never wavered.

The glasses filled with the palish pink, translucent liquid were placed in front of us. I took my drink, not sipping it yet; looking at Alejandro - waiting for his reaction.

He took a sip. I was surprised to see that he neither flinched nor puked, he kept on smiling. Goddamn, there was something very wrong with this man's taste buds. He didn't even put the drink down, he took another freaking sip!

"Wonderful." He mused, his eyes glimmering.

My mouth hung open.

There was no way in hell that someone could have liked it. This man wasn't human. No human would ever dare say that.

I looked at the drink in my own hand, regretfully and took a sip - trying to hold back the plethora of evident disgust which threatened to cover the entirety of my face. At least this drink could serve as my punishment for sleeping with another freaking man. A fair and creative form of torture just for yours truly.

"Would you like to dance?" He asked me, putting down his empty glass. This was another perfect opportunity.

I gulped down the horrendous liquid in one go and nodded. He smiled, offering me his hand. Reluctantly, I took it and felt a piece of my soul die a very painful death.

He walked to the very center of the dance floor with me in tow. The lights dimmed and the DJ chose that moment to play a very slow song. Goddammit, was the whole world conspiring against me? I tried my best not to think about the fact that he was holding my hand. I tried not to think about the fact that his touch was soft and that I had felt it before. I tried not to think about the fact that it made me feel better.

He made it very hard by putting his around my neck. My hands found his body off their own accord and I cursed involuntary actions.

His eyes met mine, his face glimmering in the momentary flicker of the lights. His eyes, two suns in a glass case.

He led the dance at first, moving my body along with his as smoothly as a wave. I was lost in his eyes, not aware of where my body moved and went. Finally when the slow song ended, I came to my senses. I was not supposed to be in his arms, dancing along with him. Nope.

The DJ chose that moment to play the Macarena. Talk about a transition! This was the perfect opportunity. I disentangled myself from him and started a truly weird tap dance.

Careful to step on his feet, listening to his periodic groans and mumbling "sorry"s I didn't quite mean under my breath, I began the next part of my impromptu plan. He didn't complain, he kept trying to get out of my way but my determined feet found his. Gradually he gave up and joined me, his feet dancing along with mine.

No. no. no. He was not supposed to be enjoying this. It was supposed to be the opposite.

He took my hands in his and we tap-danced together. I sighed. I gave up.

I just looked at him. Really looked at him.

His smile which never faded. His hellbent desire to have fun all the time. And his hands holding on to mine like they would never ever let go.

I knew that he didn't know me. I wondered whether he would still be like this if he did. This is what it was like with Martin. He liked me when he didn't know me. But when he did, he ran, he ran as fast in the opposite direct as his feet would take. If I opened up, I would scare him away.

Deep down I knew I was pushing Alejandro because I didn't want to get hurt again. I was broken enough already, I didn't need more pain.

I wasn't sure I could survive if I did.

But the night was young and so were we and he smelled like strawberries and he kept smiling and just for a night, I allowed myself to smile. I allowed myself to be happy.