13

"You don't have to do this, Ayi," Justin said, as he drove them to where Ayi is supposed to meet her dad. "Pwede ko pang iliko tong sasakyan."

It was Christmas Day, but Ayi had to face the inevitable. Mariana texted her that morning, telling her what time to meet her father and where.

Ayi turned to Justin and shook her head.

"Wala akong choice, Jah," Ayi replied in a sad tone.

Waze brought them to a sizeable park. Mula sa kinauupuan nila sa kotse, mukhang kaunti lang ang tao rito.

Ayi visibly stiffened.

"You don't have to do this," Jah repeated, putting his hand over Ayi's.

But Ayi ignored Justin's pleas. Instead, she asked, "Can I hug you?"

Bago pa man um-oo si Justin, tinanggal na ni Ayi ang seatbelt nya at niyakap siya. Hindi niya siniksik ang sarili niya kay Justin gaya ng dati. This time, she put her arms around him.

"I'll be fine as long as I'm with you," Ayi muttered.

Then, she pulled away and began to leave the car. Justin went to her side immediately.

Tumingin si Ayi sa kanya. "Just don't leave me, okay?"

Justin nodded.

They walked until Ayi stopped a few steps away from a man who was shorter than Justin, but bulkier in built.

Justin stayed just an arm's reach away from Ayi, ready to take her away in case anything happens.

"Ayi," sabi ng lalaki.

Justin noticed Ayi step back a little. Buti nalang, tumigil ang lalaki at nanatili sa kinatatayuan niya.

"I'm sorry, anak," sabi nito.

Mangiyak-ngiyak si Ayi. She longed for her dad. Before he got hooked to casinos and drugs, he was the most caring dad in the world.  He was even sweeter to Ayi than her mom.

It was safe to say Ayi was a daddy's girl, until everything crashed around them.

Nonetheless, Ayi tried to smile as genuinely as she could.

"Kumusta ka, papa?" She asked the man, smiling.

The man smiled back at her.

Makikita pa naman ang pagiging fatherly nito, puna ni Justin. Siguro nagkamali lang siya noon.

"Mabuti naman, anak. Narehab din ako ng ilang taon," sabi nito. "Okay na ko ngayon."

Ayi nodded in understanding.

"Ikaw, anak? Kumusta ka?" He asked.

Terrible, Ayi wanted to say, but, as always, she chose not to. "Okay lang po, pa."

"I missed you," Ayi's father said. Nagsimulang maglakad papalapit kay Ayi ang tatay niya.

She froze. It's been so many years. Would it be okay now?

Maybe if he hugged her, mawawala na ang isinumpang trauma niya.

But it didn't.

The soonest her father's arms came in contract with her body, she flinched.

Pero patuloy pa rin siyang niyakap ng tatay niya. Even when she began trying to wriggle her way out of his grip.

"Papa, let me go," Ayi said. She was already in tears then.

Concerned, Justin stepped forward. "Sir, please let her go."

Tila ba walang naririnig ang tatay ni Ayi. He only held his daughter tighter.