The Empire: Lost Time.

I look at him like he is crazy.
"What are you saying?"

"You didn't grief—you never did, you've been working non stop for over 4 months now. Baba even added more time so you can get back on your feet but you can't keep working all the time, it's not healthy" Abdullah complains.

I scoff "So I should go back home to an empty house, empty bed and an empty space in my heart? I hate going back to nothing".

"So that's your problem right now? Being alone?"

"You'll never understand Abdullah, you don't know what it's like losing the woman you love and I pray you never do".

"Okay then. Work" he walks out angrily.

I can't believe it's only four months, it feels like it's been years since I last saw her, the last time I hugged her and the last time I kissed her. The world is really cruel.

::

I sit beside Uncle Musa.
They both say nothing and continue watching.

"You called me" I say again.

They stay silent.
"You--" Uncle Musa cuts me off.
"—When did you become so impatient? You were never like this".

I stay quiet.
"I'm just busy that's all"
"And you never talked back" he adds.

Baba looks at me blankly.
"I get it, you lost your wife but it's not the end of the world. Life goes on, I hope you know that?"

I nod.
"So I have been patient and understanding for a while now and I think it's about time I get firm with you. You're getting married".

"What? Married?"
"Yes. It's not a choice and I want you to understand that"

He looks at Uncle Musa "Can you please give us a moment?"

Uncle Musa just nods and walks out.
I know he just did that so I'd feel more comfortable because at the end of the day Uncle Musa knows everything, probably even how they conceived me.

"I want you to understand that you can't give up now. You might think I don't care but I actually do. I swore I would never let this kingdom end up with someone that would ruin it. I was King before I was a father but I'd give up everything to have a peaceful family, I'm not just looking for someone to rule the kingdom—I'm also looking for someone that will keep this family together even when I'm not around. I'm not sure who that person is but I don't want any of my sons left behind". He sighs.

"You're marrying the daughter of a man this kingdom owes everything to so keep your feelings in check, okay?"

"Yes. I understand".
"Be a good husband" He pauses "You can go".

I nod and walk out.

::

Muneerah's POV.

"What?!" I ask looking from Ya Abdullahi to Abbi. "Married? What?"

Abdullahi looked as lost as I was.
"Yes. And you'll be leaving on the jet with your brother tomorrow morning".

"Was that why you stopped my training? I don't want to get married".
"It does not matter what you want, okay?"

I huff "Why am I the only one being treated like this?".

"Do you even know who you are getting married to?" Abbi asks annoyed.
I stay quiet not interested in saying something that might get me slapped.

"It's Muhammed Aleer".
My mouth hangs open "The Prince?"

"Yes and it's not a choice. I wanted to break it down to you nicely but it seems you will never accept it so whether you want to or not, you and your brother will be leaving for Aleer City tomorrow" he walks out.

"Married?" I ask Ya Abdullahi.
"Maybe this is for the best" he walks out leaving me stunned.

::

Muhammed's POV.

Abdullah sits beside me "The look on your face must mean baba told you".

"You knew?" I ask still looking at the ceiling.
"Yeah. He asked me if you were in the right frame of mind to hear about marriage so I guessed what it was from that".

I groan "But he's right, maybe it's better if I do but I can never love her, never".
"My friend never say never".

"Friend? We're brothers" I scoff "But she can't replace Leenah, she can't compare to her kind heart and gentle soul".

He sits up "I need you to sit up for what I'm about to tell you".
I immediately sit up.

"I wanted to tell you this earlier but decided to wait until I'm sure you won't just act out, baba said I shouldn't tell anyone else".

"Abdullah just tell me what it is".
He huffs "It's about Leenah's death" he pauses, I could feel my breath hitch in my throat "She was poisoned and I think whoever did it intentionally left it that way".

I breathe in, trying to stay calm "So it could be anyone".

"And—I also heard from some maids that Rabiatu was the last person to see her but it might also be that someone wants to frame her in other words—" I cut him off.

"Hitting two birds with one stone. But wouldn't getting married again put my next wife in danger".

"Don't worry I heard she's tough, not sure though".
"So you know who she is?"

"I'm not saying anything" he walks out smiling.

The moment he's out of sight my smile disappears. Whoever it is will not be so happy when they realize I'm getting married, whether it's Rabiatu or not, I'll just have to keep an eye. If only I had someone in the inner court because as a Prince I have nothing to do with the duties of the inner court.

::

Muneerah's POV.

"We're here" Ya Abdullahi says when he opens the door.

I walk out and look at the huge Palace gates. "Aren't we going in with the car?"

"Of course, I thought maybe you'd want to take a good look at your new home".

I roll my eyes "It's not funny" I get back in the car leaving him outside laughing.

He opens the door, his smile fades completely, replaced with a sullen look.
"You'll officially be married tomorrow and it's going to be a family only invite" he closes the door.

They must really be in a hurry.

::