The Empire: Arguments.

Yasmin, Salma and I have gotten alot closer since Rabiatu's death, the surprising thing is we haven't even spoken about that day, not even once. It's like it never existed.

"So? Are you and Muhammed really having dinner with Habib and this girl here?" Yasmin asks.

"Yeah. Apparently when we had lunch he felt bad that we excluded them so he invited us over" I say.

"I hate the idea. All he's going to do is make me feel bad" Salma says with a frown.

"Don't worry, It's going to be okay".
I wanted to say I got her back but I can't promise that if her husband is there and I know there would be insults exchanged so I can't promise I'll stick with her.

"Well I'll be having dinner with Walid at a hotel" Yasmin winks.
Although all our husbands are from different mothers and there is a huge enimity between them, we try to keep them aside. We don't talk about who is older or who is better than the other, there's no point in all that.

::

It was a really awkward sitting position, not what I thought it'd be.
Habib was seating next to me while Muhammed and Salma sat across us.

"So? You two decided to cook for us?" Habib asks looking at me.
"Yes, it's not allowed in tradition to let your husband eat food made by another unless if you're not there or your husband tells you not to or even during celebrations" She says proudly. It must have been something she learnt recently.

Habib bursts out laughing "Come on Salma, those kind of traditions are pointless" he says. And honestly I agree with him.

"It's the thought that counts" Muhammed says smiling at her.
"So—Muneerah how is living in the South like?"

"No different from here. Being there and being royal here is actually very similar".

"Really? How?" he asks with so much amusement.
"Well, my father is afraid someone might target us because of him, especially me. I'm always inside learning something. It felt unbearable".

"So it's unbearable here?"
"No. It's better here, this time I'm married" I smile at Muhammed but he just turns away. It was unexpected.

When I turn around to look at Habib he just smirks, I'm sure he saw it too.
"So what makes this place similar to The South?"

"I have always been more interested in learning something like archery".

Salma gasps, Muhammed kept looking at me, trying to shut me up.
"Why? That's not a woman's place" Salma says innocently.

"Yes but we need to know how to protect ourselves. Archery does not really need you wearing trousers or boots, it's something you can do even in a dress".

"It's not ladylike" Muhammed says sternly.
"It's not and I agree but is protecting yourself something a man has to do for you? You can't live life thinking someone will protect you and we all have lost someone that way, we don't need to pretend that it's a taboo when it's only a means of survival".

Muhammed says nothing but glares at me.
I turn around and see Habib looking at me amusedly.
"I like the way you think".

"I'm just being realistic".
And that was how our dinner went on, Salma kept trying to prove she was well informed about everything, Muhammed kept glaring at me angrily and Habib kept looking and smiling at me.

"Thanks for the dinner".
"You're welcome" Salma says holding her husbands hands, he pulls it away.

"Maybe next time it should be brunch" he suggests. I nod and walk away to let him talk to Muhammed.

::

I come out of the bathroom with the towel wrapped around me, Muhammed was seated on the bed looking anxious and pissed. I know he's angry because of what I said during dinner but that really doesn't bother me.

"What?" I ask opening the wardrobe.
"Why would you say that? You know how he is but you still kept blabbering".

"Sorry if I got too into it, he's the only one who asked me how it was back home, no one cared and I didn't lie. I want to prepare his mind".

He raises his eyebrows "And by that you mean?"
"I already know the basics" I fold my arms.
"What?! You're going to keep training?"

"Yes".
"No. Hell no! Leenah never did that".

"Muhammed I'm not Leenah, the faster you get that the better for us. You cannot keep comparing me to your wife, okay? I didn't come here to replace her. I'm here because I was forced to, it wasn't my choice. The last thing I needed was to be locked up all my life. At least back home I had hope that one day I'd marry a noble and be free".

"What is wrong with you tonight?"
"You started this!"

He groans "I? I started this?"
"You ignored me, right in front of them. I'm not in love with you, I do not love you so whatever I do, I do because I think it's right. Ignoring me and undermining me in front of them—That wasn't what we agreed on. I have my pride too so let's not take this path" I enter the bathroom and slam the door.

::

I sit in the garden looking at the birds and butterflies, rain falling heavily on the flowers and trees.

I was wearing my jeans and knee high dress, I wasn't going anywhere so I dressed casual. I get up and enter the rain.

It felt like my problems were being washed off, at least while I'm still in the rain.
"You're as pretty as those flowers, do you know that?"

Habib was walking over, in the path way completely drenched in the rain.
"Why are you in the rain?" he asks. He also looked casual, like he just came from a jog.

"It's relaxing".
"Does it really work?"

"It does for me" I say "But I've never seen anyone jog in the rain"
He chuckles "The rain caught up to me"

I tilt my head "It's been raining for over 2hours"
He nods "I know, I start my jog by 6am"

"Ah"
"It's going to be a chilly day"
I smile "I love chilly days"

He nods "That's good but then you shouldn't be in the rain, we don't want you catching a cold now, do we?"

I stared at him.
He's right.
I should go take a hot bath quickly before I'm ruined.

"You seem to be making sense, bye" I rush towards the house.

::