The Empire: Friendship.

I smile.
"Have you been practicing?" Ya Abdullahi asks.

We are in the forest, practicing archery in secret. I haven't felt this normal in a very long time, I feel like throwing this royalty trash out the window.

"No, I haven't. It's just talent" I smirk.
"That's so true, you are so talented and I'm so envious" he says sarcastically.

I try again and hitting it right in the bullseye.
"Did you just—" I trail off when I see him staring at me sadly.

"What's wrong?"
He huffs "You always wanted to be free, live a life different from the one you've always known. I promised you that you'd be free but—" he laughs frustratedly"—Now you're somewhere worse with people trying to kill you".

I smile to lessen the tension "Come on, you know me. I can handle them all".

"You're lying. Your eyes were twitching and your eyes always twitch when you lie".

I turn around and look at my target "Then I can't go back to that Palace without finding out who tried to kill me. And whoever it is, that person came here with us and no one knows the South like you and I do".

"Right".

"Shouldn't you be getting ready? All the women are"
We turn around and see Habib leaning on a tree.
"Don't worry about that, I'll be back in time. Muhammed said he'd call me when it's time" I say keeping my bow on the ground and squatting beside it to choose an arrow for Ya Abdullahi.

"You two continue, I have to go in to take care of a few things" my brother walks away.

Habib approaches me with a smile plastered on his face. "Why are you so interested in doing this? You're in denial".

"Denial?" I ask playing dumb.
"Never mind".

"Yeah. I have to go get dressed" I leave before he keeps asking questions.

.

The place was filled up.
Abba, Abdullahi and the King were on the table on stage.

I felt proud seeing my brother in the official Aleer General's uniform, he looked so handsome. I'm sure girls are going crazy just looking at him right now.

Being Muhammed's wife, we have to sit together, side by side and it was boring. He just kept talking with Aliyu.

"I'm bored" Salma says sitting beside me.
"Really? What about your beloved?"

"He's so excited about Abdullahi being General".

I scoff.
"What?" She asks.
"Nothing, I'm bored as hell too. What should we do?"

"But we can't leave"
I groan. she's right, we can't leave yet.

I pick up my plate, filled with nothing but fruits because that's what I asked for.

"You don't seem all that excited about everything, it's a glorious day" she says worriedly.

I nod "When I imagined Abdullahi being General it was different, I had pictured myself free from all that torture I was going through but instead I'm in a worse position".

She smiles sadly "I think that's why your brother has the same look on his face. He looks sad".

I wanted to cry, I could feel my eyes welling up.
"Let's talk about something else".

.

All anyone in my new family could think about is that throne, I know I can't get it out of my head.

If Muhammed gets it, he'll be the happiest man alive and he'll finally make his mother really proud but if he doesn't then I get to be free from all this royal nonsense.

But I want my husband to be happy, he deserves it more than any of his brothers.
He lies down on my lap "I'm exhausted".
"I am too".

He turns to the TV "We are going back tomorrow, I'm sorry I know you'd want to stay here longer".

"No I don't. It makes me feel worse, the fact that I complained about living here for so long when it's better than the Palace. This is what I get for being ungrateful".

"God doesn't judge people that way".
"Really? I complained, cried and prayed I'd leave this place and my prayers were answered but it's worse so I'll stop complaining so I don't end up in another worse situation".

He shakes his head "I know, I'm sorry there's nothing I can do to make you feel better".

"You're here, that's enough for me" I take his head off my lap "Anyway King, I have to go take my bath".

He laughs "King?"
I just walk away laughing.

.

I walk down the dark corridors of the Mansion.
The lights at night are always so dull, when I was younger I was scared of these halls but now that's all in the past.

The mansion is over 150 years old, it could actually be a museum.

Suddenly someone pulls me inside a room and locks the door.
The room is too dark so I couldn't see a thing.

But my heart was being so fast it felt like it was going to beat out of my chest, I froze so scared to say or move an inch.

The lights come on and I see Habib.
I raise my eyebrows surprised, what is he thinking?

"What are you doing?"
"I need to talk to you".

"By 2am? If someone sees us do you know what they'll think?"
"I know but what are you doing walking down the corridor so late at night?"

"I wanted to go get something in the kitchen, I was hungry".
I walk over to the door about to open it.
"Neera?"

I turn around and see Ya Abdullahi, he just came in through another door.

"What is going on?" I ask confused.
"We know who is behind it. Leenah's death and your attempted murder" Habib reveals.

"And we need to play it right, do you understand me?" Abdullahi asks me and I nod.

"Who is it?" I ask the obvious question.

::