The Empire: First Steps.

"Wake up" Muhammed shakes me.

I turn around and continue sleeping.
"Muneerah, wake up".

I groan and sit up "Can't I just sleep in today?"
"No. You're coming with me".

I stare at him.
"Why are you looking at me like that?"
"Nothing" I say back still looking at him.

"What?"
"I was just hoping to start something I've been planning".

He nods his head like he knows what I'm talking about.
"Really? We'll talk about that later but you need to get dressed".

"Alright" I lazily get up.

::

I lock up the house and put the keys in my purse.
After walking out of the gate we start walking to the Palace court.

"What do you think you're doing?" he asks looking serious.
"What? What are you talking about?"

"What are you doing with Habib? What games are you playing?"
"I'm not playing games, we just met, coincidentally".

"And you really believe that?"
"Yeah, I do".

He scowls "And you say you're not playing games".
"I can handle myself".

"You're not supposed to, I'm supposed to be handling my brothers. Remember? That's what you said. You said you'd take care of us when it comes to the inner court".

"Really? I'm doing this for us".
"You can't handle my brothers, you don't know how dangerous the court is".

I stop walking.
"I have been living in the court my entire life, I didn't go to school like other kids, I didn't go to college and I didn't study my masters in a different state, instead I was in the Mansion getting home schooled, going to every court meeting my father attended and listened to how he made every decision. I was there when many innocent lives where taken, not that I witnessed the death though. What I'm trying to say is, when you were too busy going to school, having fun and doing whatever you wanted—" I pause. "—I know what I'm doing and I can handle myself. I just need you to trust me and do your part".

"Okay, I just don't want you getting yourself into problems. I'm really trying to sort things out for us so please just calm down and don't do anything rash".

"Okay I promise".
"That also includes you not looking for Habib, if he looks for you then it's fine but don't go looking for him so that whatever happens you have that to your advantage".
"Alright".

::

I hate the fact I have to keep being friends with Khadija. I feel forced into it because she's Abdullahi's wife.
I'm only doing this because he's a nice person and he's the only person who genuinely cares about Muhammed.

"Anyway the moment I heard it I thought I'd come talk to you myself".

"So what did you hear?"
We sat down in her living room conversing or at least a one sided conversation.

"People are talking about you and Ya Habib because people saw you two in the rain the other day, I got worried so I wanted to know what really happened. You know just so I can tell everyone that it's a rumor".

"So what is false exactly? It's true we where soaked in the rain that day, so what is false exactly?"
"That—Uh—"

"Ya Habib just has respect for my father and looks up to him and that's it".

"Oh. I thought they'd be a new story to go on around here. With Aisha marrying Suleiman soon we don't need anything to distract the attention by the time it is official".

I look at her shocked but she was too busy typing on her phone she didn't realize what she just said.
"Really?"

She raises her head "Huh?"
I doubt she realizes what she just said.

"So I heard you're friends with Leenah's sister, is it true?"
"Yeah. For the longest time".

"So I need to ask you—Are you on your husband's side or Suleiman's side?"

"What do you mean?"
"You subconsciously just told me about his marriage to Aisha".

She looked terrified.
"Don't worry I won't tell anyone but whose side are you on?"

"My husband of course. And it's not about sides".
"Really? Then let me tell you this and it's not because I like you, it's because your husband doesn't deserve to pay because of his wife's sheer stupidity—Suleiman, Habib, walid, Sadiq. I mean all of them are after the throne and because of that their wives are now also part of that war whether we like it or not. And everyone of them is willing to do whatever they can to get it. Muhammed and Abdullahi are standing together. I don't know what for reason so if you don't want to be kicked out of this Palace you better do the right thing and stick with your husband. Forget about Aisha and your friendship because Aisha will only care about herself and Suleiman".

"So you're saying we should stick together you and I?"
"Hell no. Just because my husband and yours are a team does not mean you and I have to be. I'm on my own and I'll take care of my husband myself. My own way".

::

I hurry in and pull Muhammed to my room.
"What?" he asks.

"Khadija called me, she wanted to discuss something with me".

"What did she want to discuss?"
"Rumors about Habib and I, anyway—" he cuts me off.

"Rumors? And you're acting like it's nothing. What if it gets to baba's ear. It'll be a problem".

"Don't worry I can handle it, what I want to say—" He cuts me off again.
"Maybe this was his plan. To ruin your image".

"I can assure you it's not his plan".
"How do you know that?" He asks looking annoyed.

"I just know, okay?"
"How do you know? How can you—" this time I cut him off.

"Suleiman is getting remarried".
"Wait, is that why you came in excited and dragged me away from Madam Secretary? Really?"

He turns around and opens the door.
"He's getting married to your sister in law, Leenah's sister, Aisha".

He stops but doesn't say anything.
"He's getting married to Aisha and he doesn't want anyone to know it yet".

He turns and looks at me. "How are you sure?"
"Khadijah blurted it out, she always gets nervous when she talks to me. Aisha must have told her".

"They're planning something".
"But she won't do anything to hurt you, right?" I ask with a smile.

He shakes his head "Aisha would destroy Leenah if she could so I have no doubt in my mind that she'll try to make me pay, especially because their whole family blames me for her demise"

"That's gonna be an issue".
"We need a plan".

I smile.
"And that's exactly why I told you to trust me, I have a plan. When I put it to action I'll tell you then".

"Just be careful".
"I will".

.
.