The Empire : Monsters In My Closet.

Not Edited!

I never knew I could actually feel relief coming home.

We arrived back in Aleer City by 3am so I slept in today but by the time I woke up Muhammed had already left the house.

I yawn waking up.
The tension in this place just keeps getting worse as the D-day approaches.

"Awake?"

I almost faint hearing someone's voice. I turn around and see Ma Alima standing by the door, smiling.

"Ma?"
"I met Muhammad outside and he told me to wait in the living room".

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you were here" I say.
It's so weird to have my husband's mother in our room. What if something happened the night before and I'm still naked in bed?

"Just take your bath and come see me, I have to go see Ibrahim now anyway" she says referring to her husband.

"Okay" She smiles and walks out.

She just decided to come into our room? That's seriously unethical.

I groan and get up.
Another terror filled day.

.

Muhammed's POV.

I stare at him but he was too busy using his phone to notice.

"What's with the excitement?" I ask my brother.

Habib just turns around and smiles "Things are finally going to end. The rivalry that started the moment our mothers gave us birth. Naming the next king will end it".

"Or maybe start another war".
"Can you please just be optimistic? For once?"

"That's the best I can do. You know how things are here, nothing is ever solved".

He just turns his head away.
Abdullah walks in with a frown on his face.

"What's up?" I ask him.
"Khadijah, she's infuriating".

"What did she do now?"
"Apparently she and Yasmin were arguing and she decided to get physical. Now the case is being solved and I can't do anything about it. Baba said he didn't even want me near the women's pavilion. What am I going to do?"

"Sit here and do nothing, that's the best you can do for her" Habib says not even sparing his younger brother a look.

I don't say nothing and just turn to him, he looks distraught.
"Look, just calm down. Habib is right we can't do anything about it".

He huffs.
Habib suddenly turns to me "So? Did Muneerah tell you?" he asks.

"What?"
"Oh she didn't" he says in realization "She really keeps her promises. Just forget it" he turns back to using his phone.

"What is he talking about" Abdullah asks.
"I don't know".

.

Walking home is something I rarely do.
It's too far but it is perfect for moments like this, thinking.

I can't get what Habib said out of my head, what could my brother possibly know that I don't?

"A moment?"
I raise my head and see Ali staring at me.

"Yes, what is it?"
"Asmau wants to throw me a birthday bash"

I raise my eyebrows surprised.
"You? A birthday bash?"

"It's not my idea but by this time next week Baba will be naming the next King of Aleer Kingdom and honestly whether I get lucky enough to be King or not I want us all to use that opportunity to settle our differences. If not I doubt we ever will".

"So it's a truce birthday bash".
"Something like that. I know you might not believe me and honestly I don't care but if I'm named King or not, I'm leaving the Palace immediately. I want my children to live normal lives and if I'm king then so be it. I don't want to have to keep looking behind me when I'm trying to move forward".

Hearing Ali say this is really shocking but I'm not sure if he's serious about it, we can only really know when a king is named.

"Okay, we'll make it".
He walks away.

::

Muneerah was lying down on the couch when I walked in, she looked peaceful.

"What does Habib know that I don't?" I ask unable to stay quiet which is seriously unlike me.

"Habib? I don't think there is" she says confused.

"Then think about what it could be".

She looked like she was in thought and suddenly she looks at me and looks away suspiciously. Whatever Habib was talking about she knows it quite well.

"So? Has it clicked yet?"
"There is no secret of mine that I'm keeping from you"

I raise my eyebrows.
"Secret of yours? So there is a secret that you're keeping from me".

"Yes but it's not my secret".
"Abdullahi? Is it his secret?"

She nods.
"Really? But who is it about?"

"Me".
"Then it's not his secret! It's yours and as your husband I deserve to know anything that affects MY wife in anyway".

"But—"
I huff, I doubt she'll ever tell me.
"I'm going to go take my bath, I'm tired" I leave the living room.

::

I quickly get my phone and call Habib.
I can't believe he let something like that slip.
"Calling? Why?" He asks when he picks up.

"You told Muhammed that we are keeping something from him?"
"Not really, it slipped"

"He came back asking about it" I ask frustratedly.
"Then tell him" he says causally.

"I promised Ya Abdullahi I would never tell anyone until the right time came"
"It's not your brother's secret, it's yours and you know it. Muhammed is as stubborn as you are and you know he wouldn't just let it go so just tell him, it's not like he's going to go around telling people"

"You're right. Thanks"
"You're welcome"
He ends the call.

I huff and follow my him upstairs.

::

Habib's POV.

I keep my phone.
"Muneerah?" Suleiman asks.
"Yes, she needed to ask about something".

He smirks "So—you've become so close to Muhammed over night, why is that?"

The dumb guy came over for God knows what. Sometimes I wished Muhammed was my brother not Suleiman, he never thinks before he does anything at all.

"If you were half as smart as he is maybe I would have acknowledged you but you're not".

"No. It started after his second marriage so the real question is—Is Muhammed smart or Muneerah?" He asks mischievously.

"That doesn't seem like your problem now, does it?"
"What would you do if you become king? I know you've never been the type to let go of what you want".

"What can I do? She is married to Muhammad and she apparently loves him so there is absolutely nothing I can do".

"True. She'll never accept you".
"Suleiman I would advice you think carefully before you open your mouth again".

He says nothing and turns back to the TV.
Maybe I can convince her.

::