XVIII. Confessions

The weather was getting warmer lately. It was nearing sunset and the girls could feel the sun's rays bouncing off their skin, giving them a pretty golden glow. 

Wonyoung and Yujin had just finished a friendly game of basketball but is it really considered just friendly when there's a ton of back hugs and cheek kisses involved? They walked around the park and as usual, chatter filled the air. They got to a small lake and it was quite empty there, the only other people there being a distance away from them. The two girls sat by the edge of the lake and dipped their bare feet in the water.

Yujin yawned. She had had a pretty long day, studying and practicing so she felt a little sleepy. She rested her head on Wonyoung's shoulder and closed her eyes. Their nonstop talking slowly quieted down as they just sat there in silence while watching the sun set. They listened to the birds chirping and the swish of the water under their feet. So peaceful.

"Hey," they both whispered at the same time and then broke into giggles.

"You go first," Wonyoung said.

"Ok, umm, I've been thinking about something a lot lately. Well, specifically someone," Yujin told her. 

Wonyoung's heart sunk a little when she heard those words and noticed the tinge of pink on Yujin's cheeks but she forced a smile and nodded for her to continue. Her mind was filled with regret that she didn't figure out her feelings sooner. 

Yujin took her head off Wonyoung's shoulder and that made the younger girl's heart ache. When Yujin's smiled that bright puppy smile, it ached a bit more because she thought that soon, someone else would be seeing that smile too and she would see it a lot less. Wonyoung thought about how Yujin's smile was the first thing she noticed in the older girl and how lately it had become one of her favourite things to look at.  

Yujin reached out for Wonyoung's hand. Similar thoughts were running through her head. She thought about how the freshman had become such an important part of her life so quickly. She thought about all the times they would talk for hours, both in person and over the phone. She thought about the times they would sing together just for fun. She fiddled with Wonyoung's fingers, wondering if this would be the last time she would be allowed to hold it.

"Who is it?" Wonyoung asked, a crack in her voice, "Who have you been thinking of a lot?".

Yujin took a deep breath and looked the younger girl in the eyes, here goes, "You. I've been thinking about you a lot lately because I like you, Wonyoung. I've liked you for quite a while but only gathered enough guts to tell you now,".

Wonyoung stared at Yujin, partly excited but also confused. She pinched herself to check if she was dreaming or maybe hallucinating but no, Yujin was in front of her with that same damn smile and oh, that fuzzy feeling again but stronger this time. 

Wonyoung tackled Yujin to the ground with the biggest hug. "I like you too," she whispered against Yujin's hair, "I was just about to tell you that actually,".

Yujin let out a sigh of relief and hugged Wonyoung tighter, "Oh thank goodness. I thought I would lose my best friend,".

"You'll never lose me,"

---

"You okay, sis?" Sakura asked Wonyoung who had just got home. Her little sister had a wide foolish smile plastered on her face and she was skipping all over the place. Anyone would be at least mildly concerned.

"Yep, I'm fine. In fact, I'm better than fine. I think this is easily one of the best days of my life," Wonyoung squealed. The girl looked dazed and her mothers were slightly more than mildly concerned now. Drugs? No way, Wonyoung was a good kid.