Saturday Chores

It's Saturday morning, and I finally had a chance to sleep in. I had quiet time to think about everything that has happened in my life.

Mom and dad were gone again, and they have most of the house boxed away. It is kind of sad knowing that I won't be living here anymore come Friday.

I get up and get dressed into something more comfortable to start off my day. Then, I go in to the bathroom and brush my teeth.

I decided to skip breakfast, since I wasn't that hungry anyways. As soon as I get downstairs, I see Harper on the couch watching something.

I try to ignore her, but she speaks up. "Here, this is for you, sis."

She held up a folded note in her left hand, but she didn't even bother to look at me. Excuse me? I was the one dropped off on the side of the road last night and no apology?

I walked away from her unfolding the note as it read at the top, "Harper and Jessica's Saturday chores".

Harper drew a line across her name and the word and so it only said Jessica's Saturday chores. Which is something I rolled my eyes at.

"So, you're not going to help me with any of these chores, Harper?" I at least had to ask.

"Nope, later today me and Alex are going to go to the mall, so you can have fun with that." How generous of her, but I expect nothing less.

I don't know how Alex can even stand being friends with her. She must act like a completely different person when I'm not around.

The doorbell rings, and Harper decided to get it instead of me. Lucky for her, she opened the door to Justin. I gave him a smile.

"Justin, hi, oh my gosh! I had no idea you were stopping by today what a surprise!"

"Oh hey, Harper, sorry but I actually came by to see Jessica."

He came to see me? That's so sweet.

She looked over at me and rolled her eyes, "I'm sorry to say this, Justin, but Jessica has a lot of chores to get done today and she has no time to hangout with anybody."

She was right. Since I am probably stuck doing Harper's chores, I will be lucky enough to have them all finished by tonight. Justin came inside and walked towards me.

He looked over at me and smiled, "Hey, Jess, I just wanted to check in on you. I don't have to work today, so I was hoping we could hangout."

"Harper's right, Justin, I have to do a lot of stuff today, and I don't know if I'll be done anytime soon."

He looked away thinking for a moment, "Well, I can help you finish the chores if you want."

Harper came over to both of us, "Why are you going to help her? We can still hangout together."

"Sorry, Harper."

She looked as if she was about to cry as she stormed out of the house leaving me and Justin alone.

"So, you really don't mind helping me around the house? If you don't want to, I completely understand."

"Are you kidding me? What do we do first?"

I looked at the list again.

1. Vacuum all of the rooms.
2. Wash the dishes.
3. Clean the bathrooms.
4. Wash the clothes and fold them.
5. Wash your sheets.
6. Water the plants.
7. Pack up the attic.
8. Take out the trash.
9. Sweep the kitchen.
10. Make dinner.

"The first thing we have to do is vacuum all of the rooms."

He said, "I don't mind that at all."