Girls Ask Guys

I woke up to a dark room. I looked around forgetting where I was at for a split second then realizing I was in the Russo's basement.

I turned on my phone to see that it was three in the morning. I rubbed my eyes and made my way up the staircase.

At least, I can have a few minutes to myself. I went around the counter and began making myself a turkey sandwich with mayonnaise.

I sat at an empty table and started eating. There was a noise that I heard on the stairs coming down.

I froze in my place only to realize it was footsteps. I looked up to see Mrs. Russo walking down them.

She looked at me and whispered, "Jess, what do you think you are doing?"

I said with my mouth full, "Eating a sandwich."

She had really awful bed head.

"Really? At this early in the morning?"

I shrugged my shoulders as I went down for another bite. I was really hungry so why not?

She sat down at my table with me, "Okay, what's going on?"

I gave her a confused look and asked, "What do you mean? I'm doing great."

She gave me one of those mom looks. I get them all the time from my mom, and it just tells me that she isn't buying what I'm selling.

I sighed, "I like someone but recently they've become so distant from me. I don't know what to do."

She put her hand over mine, "Well to start, any boy would be lucky to have you. You should just sit down and talk with him."

I smiled, "Yeah, that's what Harper said to. I guess I'm just scared to see what he says."

She said to me, "You never know. One day something great could come out of all this."

"Thanks, Mrs. Russo, for everything, and I'm really sorry for waking you up. I just have a lot on my mind at the moment."

"I understand. Now, you better go back to sleep because you have school in a few more hours."

She was right because today is Monday. The first day of the week. When I woke up for a second time this morning, I was really sleepy.

I skipped breakfast and decided to go to school early. I can't believe this is my last year of highschool. It feels like it was yesterday when I was in seventh grade walking these halls for the first time.

When I walked into the school building, I saw Ivy standing by her locker. At least, I had someone to talk to this morning.

"Hey, Ivy, what are you doing here so early?" She turned her head while pushing up her glasses and looked at me.

"I was just hanging some posters up around school. Mr. Laritate got it approved this morning."

I looked up at the poster she just got done hanging. It said at the top, "FALL DANCE THIS FRIDAY!" and then at the bottom it read, "GIRLS ASK GUYS."

She shook her head, "I know it says girls ask guys, but I find that to be very annoying. I mean what if I want a guy to ask me?"