Flying Cars & Window Bars

CHAPTER ONE:

Third Person P.O.V.:

The summer of 1991 seemed to go by quickly for Charlie Hawthorne. Throughout the month of July, he tried to keep as busy as possible. He wrote to Harry, Ron and Hermione constantly, but only two of them seemed to reply to him. He hadn't heard from The Chosen One since that day he left aboard the Hogwarts Express.

The brown eyed boy knew deep in his core that Harry's lunatic family had something to do with that. It wouldn't be the first time that they would have kept his letters from him — remember his acceptance letter?

When it came to Hermione, the boy missed her desperately. They sent letters to one another almost daily. The girl had even got her family's approval to invite the boy to spend a week or two with them. However, Charlie felt as though he needed to politely decline. He knew if he were to spend a portion of his summer with a bunch of Muggles, he wouldn't hear the end of it from his father.

As for Ron, the ginger haired boy sent Charlie letters weekly. Ever since the Weasley family had left Hogwarts, they had been trying to persuade the young Hawthorne to visit the Burrow. Apparently, Arthur Weasley was very interested to meet the son of his successor. Charlie wanted to go, but he still had yet to get the approval of Dumbledore.

Speaking of his family, the reason Dumbledore wished to speak with Charlie at the end of last term was because Fenwick had issued an important letter to the school. The letter said that he was intending to promote Lucius Malfoy to Head Chairman of the Hogwarts Board of Governors. So, basically, Draco Malfoy was going to be walking around acting like a bigger prat than usual. Charlie's father played it off a business endeavour, but he felt as if it was more personal. Almost as if, Lucius Malfoy was being used maintain order.

When he wasn't writing constant letters to his friends, the brown eyed boy did a sufficient amount of things around the castle. He had assisted McGonagall with the first years acceptance letters, went on Hogwarts business trips with his grandfather, practiced some Quidditch strategies, hung out with Peeves, and even took up an internship-like job with Hagrid.

Everyday at around 4:00 in the afternoon, Charlie would take his now medium sized puppy, Ludo, down to Hagrid's hut to tend to the giant's creatures. He found joy in being around the various magical animals. His job was to feed and bond with them. When he wasn't doing that, he would help Hagrid tend to any problems on the castle grounds.

Safe to say that over the summer, the boy obtained a love for creatures, many paper cuts, a hobby in mechanics, and a new golden tan that accented his now developed muscles.

One evening, when Charlie was playing fetch with Ludo on the grounds, Hagrid approached him with a smile, "'Ello there Char, what 're yeh doin our 'ere at this hour?"

The young boy turned to face the half-giant, "Playing with Ludo. I haven't been that tired as of late. I think it has something to do with the eagerness that I feel with the start of term approaching."

Hagrid smirked, "Yeh sure it's the eagerness from the start of the term? Or is it the eagerness to see Hermione again?"

The young boy looked at Hagrid with a puzzled expression. He was confused as to what the half-giant was insinuating, "I think that's kind of the same thing, Hagrid. Start of term means all my friends come back."

"'Course," Hagrid smiled playfully, "All your friends."

The young boy shook his head and laughed as he now caught on to what this conversation was truly about, "It's not like that."

Again, Hagrid just had a goofy smile plastered on his face, but decided to drop the topic for now, "Anyways! You're grandfather be lookin' for yeh."