8 - Shut it, Jerry

"How do I look?"

"'Fraid you're askin' the wrong person, lady."

You shift closer and swat his shoulder, pouting at the skeleton. "C'mon," you say, facing him. "You're the only one I trust won't sugarcoat how I look, if you pointed out those 'love handles' I've got barely a week ago."

"So? I was just makin' a comparison between us, not callin' you out or anythin'."

"But you were still bold enough to say I had them."

You pull your hand back, noticing it's been kept on his shoulder for far too long. Then, you scoot away, growing aware of just how close you are. "I don't want him to think I'm still hung up over him. It's been almost seven years."

"Are you still thinkin' about 'im, though?"

"Hell no. He can go date whoever he wants."

Sans grabs the area where you'd touched him, the sight of that making you worry if, perhaps, you'd involuntarily crossed a line with him. You're not sure how to ask if you've made him uncomfortable, so you back off, shifting further away in your seat as you set your hands over your lap and face down. "He was patient enough to wait those nine months until Frisk finally came to this world, so I can't really blame him too much." You take in some air, maintaining your pride. "But that still doesn't mean I don't want to look my best. I've moved on, and I... I really want that to show today."

Appearing convinced, the monster nods and sits up straighter on the couch, irises scanning your face for a good while. He then carries on to your attire, a wider grin showing through. "You look good. Not really much different from your regular self, in all honesty."

"Please, be honest with me here, Sans."

"But I am being honest." He averts his gaze from you, posture turning rigid as he faces elsewhere. "You don't need to try and look like you've moved on, 'cause it already shows."

Unsure how to approach his comment, you grab the fabric of your jeans and clench your hands, huffing. "If you really think so, then..." You breathe, chest feeling tighter than the belt around your waist. "Thank you."

You stand up and fix your clothes for what has to be the twentieth time today. Your heart's racing just as much as your thoughts. Honest to goodness, you were nervous over meeting him again, and not because of butterflies or lingering feelings, but for how much had went on since he last visited. At the thought of him meeting the monsters and learning about the month Frisk was absent from your side, your worries heighten, and anxiety eats right through your confidence. Nervous, you gulp and look back towards the couch again. "Could you... follow me outside?" You wring your hands, clasping them as a frown shows up on your face. "I could really use your company and annoyance right now."

He laughs at that, nodding again as he stands up and joins your side, winking when he looks up at you. "Thought you'd never ask, (Y/N)."

You still can't help feeling strange at the sound of him saying your name. While you were fully aware it was nothing out of the ordinary, and that he was now in close enough terms to call you that instead of lady, there remains a sudden flip in your stomach whenever he says it. Whether it was due to how wary you stayed around him or how incessant he was with his flirting, it's still impossible for you to acknowledge that and get over those feelings.

The temperature changes as you both step outside. In contrast to the warmth of Toriel's home, you're greeted by cold winds and the occasional water droplets falling on your face and body. At the hint of rain coming soon, you dwell on last week and how you were limited to stay the night at this place. You wonder if the same will apply for today, or if you would have to cut your reunion short.