25 - Live and Let Die

Ah yes, "Live and Let Die" and "Death Report" are today's chapter title and song selections. Get it? (...I'm sorry.)

• • •

You sound the alarm and hope it's not a boy crying wolf situation as you wait for someone to arrive and help out. His body turns heavy on you and it's a challenge to keep him in your hold with the injury spread across your stomach. Still, you try to maintain your grip on him and sit down on the bed for more support. With newly reopened wounds, you don't have the strength to move anymore, though you attempt to assess the situation nonetheless.

He isn't breathing, but strangely enough, the soul monitor keeps up a stable pace; faint and slow, but still there. His body also seems to be turning to dust, though based on what little information you'd obtained regarding monsters, he was supposed to be nothing but a pile of dust in less than a few minutes; sometimes seconds, depending on the situation. You figure it's been longer than that now and hold onto the hope he's still alive, regardless of him not breathing and the knowledge that he's already stiff and bone-chillingly cold to the touch.

"Can you hear me?" you ask, shifting your positions so that you're able to grab his face. "Please, just… Just let me know somehow if you're still alive." You bump your forehead against his and ignore the eerie feeling of having his body fade right under your touch. It's been too long of a wait, and you fear your earlier worry's more than true now. 

"Someone, help!" you shout, growing impatient. His body continues to deteriorate under you, and while you're more than urged to try standing up, it's in vain, as that only results in you making your wound worse and leaving it to bleed more. "Help!" you cry out, more desperate now. "I can't move…" Those last words are quiet, trembled, and muttered as you cup his cheekbone and kiss him there, tasting your own tears. "Are you still alive? Wh- Why does the monitor keep going, e- even though you're not breathing? Wh- Why are you-"

At the sound of the soul monitor letting out a series of more patterned, congruent beeps, your eyes grow and you blink through the tears. You hope to see his irises, only to be met by him continuing to turn to dust. "Is… Is the monitor bugged? Is… Is that it?" You continue to blink away tears and hold his face against your palm again, lips quivering when you stare for too long at his lifeless state. "You're... really dead, aren't you?"

More beeps come from the monitor as a response. Anger seeps through you and you wish you were strong enough to get up and disconnect it. "S- Stop making fun of me," you say, words directed at the device. "I know he's de… dead. You… You don't have to rub it in!"

As if having a conversation with you, the monitor makes a pattern of noises similar to that of someone laughing out loud. For a moment, your anger stops and you find yourself looking down to see a subtle grin on the monster's face despite him still having his eye sockets closed.

"Am I going crazy, or are you… Are you laughing at me?"

It's like you're having a full-on convo with the device, though it's a bit difficult to follow along when some messages are delivered through code. 

"Did I die with you, or is this a weird fever dream?"

More laughter follows, accompanied by what you can almost swear is him trying to respond to your question.

You stroke your fingers across his face and finally gain a better view of him now that you've stopped crying. His subtle grin remains, though based on how far more rigid he's become, it's evident his body's no longer alive. Still, you're having a conversation with what you hope is his soul, so that has to count for something…