21 - ABC

It smells like a school supply when you open the door; the scents of paper, ink, and brand new stationery bring forth nostalgia, both from your years spent in school and from sending Frisk there, too. There's an empty desk sitting by the far middle of the room, an office chair behind it, and a row of seats on either sides of the room. At the desk sits a plaque with your name on it, the words co-director and school counselor found right under it. There's a bunch of files waiting for you, along with a small, silver keychain of the school's logo, three keys holding onto it.

While you don't exactly believe yourself capable of being Toriel's assistant and much less give any sort of advice to any person who came through, the interview you had with her told you otherwise. Years of working at an office made it easy for you to manage with school affairs, and quoting her: you were good at comforting others and giving them a word of advice, not so much when it came to yourself. Truthfully, you'd been offended by that comment, yet there was no denying it.

It was similar to how you'd felt wistful weeks after your confrontation with Sans happened, despite you being the one to suggest ending any romantic and flirty ties with him. He followed your suggestion word-by-word, and for the past month since it took for the school to open and another one more until you were given an office of your own, he hadn't once flirted with you; perhaps once or twice; or maybe three times, to be more specific, but only until those old habits of his died down to nothing.

You bring a hand to your lips, brushing your fingers against them as you think back on your second kiss with the monster.

Just as the first kiss had been more out of fun and temporary allure, the second one had been driven by desire more than a romantic want of sorts, though it had been more expressive compared to the first one. On one hand, it feels nice to know you've set things straight with the monster so as to avoid leading him on further, but on the other hand, you're still not over him yet. Whatever it was that caused you to think about wanting to be back to how it once was, it was driving you mad. Even with him not flirting around with you anymore, you can't pinpoint as to whether you like him or not, or if you're simply starved for company after so long. Visiting a bar in hopes of meeting someone else didn't help either; the more traditional sense of romance you carried in mind prevented you from starting anything casual with anyone. Ridiculously enough, there was also a hint of guilt that remained whenever you tried to start something new with someone else. 

Whether it was how for long you'd kept yourself from the world or whether you truly had feelings for him, you couldn't bear the constant overthinking it brought.

Knock, knock.

You've almost forgotten where you're at by this point, though the knocks drag you back to reality. When you don't respond, part of it (or most of it) due to how much you're burning your mind out, the knocks return; a bit louder this time. You answer from your desk, stopping the person from leaving.

"Come in."

In accordance to your words, the door opens and through passes a human man about as tall as Undyne. He has a bear monster holding onto his hand, and a few papers are held by the young one. The man lets go, smiles, and encourages the child to approach your side.

You smile down at the bear and reach out for what he gives you; your expression then takes an abrupt turn when you see what you're holding in your hand's about.

"You're…" You read through the papers again, hoping you've misunderstood them. "You're forfeiting his enrollment? But he's been with us for a whole month now!" One of them almost ends up on the floor when you set them aside, hands shaking in fear over the meaning behind the leave. The boy helps catch it and hands it back to you, and while you thank him for the help, you still can't bring yourself to make your smile return. "Did something happen?"