20 - Mother, Mother

"C'mon, mom. We're gonna be late!"

You smile down at Frisk and watch as they tug at the sleeve of your shirt to try pull you along with them. The door's been left open by them, and even though those meant to pick you up for the event aren't here yet, they still urge you to go outside and wait.

"It's still seven, honey. We've got plenty of time." You grab their hand and put a stop to their energy, facing their eyes. "Are you that excited over starting school?"

They nod, grinning. "Even more if you're gonna be working there, too!"

Your smile falls as you remember the folder Sans had given you. It had been thrown into a corner of your bookshelf since that day, and you'd been too reluctant to look at it anymore ever since then; your fear over the possibilities that laid ahead overcame any courage you had left in you. You didn't want to take their kindness and help for granted, just as much as you didn't want to forget about what monsters had once been capable of.

Your godmother was right in terms of you needing to know more about monsters, so you've established it upon yourself to ask Sans about it later today. You wanted to ask about books on his kind and finally be upfront about your feelings, even if that was easier said than done. Not only had you crossed far too many boundaries with him already, but you were still keeping your dubious relationship with him all while still continuing to be wary over his kind for their past.

In short, hipocrisy's beginning to absorb you bit by bit, and today's your very first attempt at trying to break free from it. Whether you succeed or not doesn't matter. Trying, on the contrary, does. Even the slightest amount of information could help in setting your thoughts straight about monsters, and perhaps to stop you from comparing them with Jerry ever since he acted up that day with you back at the beach.

To put it this way: you couldn't allow yourself one thing if you were allowing the other to continue happening.

After all, why were you willing to engage in a relationship with someone like Sans, rumored to have once confronted your kind at Snowdin, when you were still far from forgiving and much less forgetting Jerry over abandoning Frisk for so many years?

Why were you willing to befriend someone like Alphys, who'd been close to ending up in jail due to the failed experiments made on those of her own kind?

Why were you willing to book a night at Mettaton's hotel, knowing he'd once set Frisk into danger greater than any other monster you knew had, Undyne being a close second?

Even someone like Papyrus had attacked them once!

"Mom," Frisk calls out, tugging your hand. "You look angry. Are... Are you okay?"

You nod and let out a breath, composing yourself. "I'm fine, honey."

"Are you... Are you still thinking about avenging me?"

Your eyes shoot wide open at that, and you can't avoid suspecting they have the capability of reading your mind.

Regardless of their word choice, you were, in a sense, wanting to avenge them from anyone who'd once caused them harm, be it Jerry, the monsters, or the loud and nosy neighbour from next door wondering why Frisk liked playing with action figures just as much as they did playing with fairies and princesses. They'd taken the initiative to defend themselves more than you had on that area though, as the very next day, Frisk stood out at the front yard's garden to play as they usually did, but only while wearing a superhero shirt, a cape, a tiara, and a skirt this time, just to get their point across.

"Mom!"

Hearing their whine of concern, you snap out of it and look down to see they've let go of your hand, both their arms now being outstretched and in wait for your embrace.