26 - Backhanded (Part One)

This chapter turned out to be wayyy longer than the rest (5k+ words, basically double the usual word count), so part two'll be out by tomorrow!

• • •

It's been more than twelve hours since the incident happened, and while it's now early in the morning, you've barely managed to get so much as a minute of sleep. There's too much in your mind for you to settle on just one thing, so you've set it upon yourself to take in every little aspect of your hospital room until you've grown tired of it. Others have texted you to keep in touch, yet now it's too late -- or rather, too early -- to continue talking with them. Some had offered to stay the night with you here, but you'd rejected their offers, saying they were already doing enough by looking after Frisk while you recovered.

The room feels cold despite how many sheets you're wrapped up in. What aids you in feeling less lonely is seeing the monster's soul quite literally floating in a glass container by a counter at a corner of the room, and glowing on and off under the darkness of your surroundings. His monitor's still connected to the power outlet, though you haven't tried to spark up another conversation since you got your stitches remade. Now though, you could use that distraction and glance at his direction before speaking up.

"Sans…" you whisper, hugging yourself. "Can you still hear me?"

You have the morse code alphabet loaded up on your phone, ready to translate his responses besides the usual 'one beep: yes; two beeps: no'. 

One beep.

Before you can ask another question, you see his soul fade away from your view, now nowhere near to be seen. The panic you already feel growing in your heart lessens when you see it reappear in the shape of a glow similar to the one his magic emanated off of him, only white instead blue. Said glow travels to a palm-sized plushie set by his hospital bed amongst all the other gifts people had left for him. The doll begins to move and tries to lift itself up, though it stumbles a few times before sitting itself upright. You giggle at that sight and wish you could stand to pick it up. 

"Is that you?" you ask, smiling at the doll. 

One beep.

"Can you try to walk here, or do you want me to pick you up?"

Short, long, long. (• — —)

Short, long. (• —)

One short, one long, two short. (• — • •)

Long, short, long. (— • —)

Just as you're translating those four patterns, you understand the meaning of them when you see the doll approach your bed. He tries to climb up, so you make it a bit easier by stretching an arm out for him. "Try to jump," you say, grinning. "I'll catch you."

He follows your suggestion without hesitation and falls right into your palm. When he does, you're able to see the doll's design with a bit more detail and realize it's rather grim -- pun unintended -- considering the situation he and everyone else's currently in. "...So, you're the grim reaper now," you comment, letting out a quiet laugh. "That's... oddly cute, really. Do you know who brought it in?"

Two long. (— —)

One short. (•)

One long beep. (—)

"Met. So... Mettaton?" you ask, cupping him in your palm. "I guess it does match his sense of humour… And at least it gives you a vessel for us to communicate a little better!" You bring him closer and observe him for a while. When he looks back to you, it almost feels as if you're making eye contact for real, rather than this simply being a doll with large, black button eyes and a small, cotton-based body meant to give him temporary mobility with what little functionality it provides him with. You bring him closer and kiss his teeth -- or rather, the doll's -- and smile when he responds to that by pressing a hand against your cheek during the moment. "So, I've decided…" You bite back tears when his tiny skeleton hands grab both of your cheeks, the one holding the scythe being careful not to poke you in the eye with it. "If you still have, well, feelings for me... I- I want to date you, too. I want to overcome these fears, and... And try to liven up some more. A- And I want to kiss you for real as soon as you've got your new body."