Chapter 2: what my heart wants

Y/n pov

"Oum!" I say kneeling down.

"Please rise. Formalities do not sit well with me." He says.

"W-what are you doing here? What business do you have?" I ask.

I was honored yet confused. Oum is the god of Remnant yes. But if he is here then something important is about to happen.

"Dear child I have come here to ask you of something." He says.

"Ask me? As in a job or duty?" I ask.

He nods his head.

"A great threat is emerging. He has returned for vengeance against me." He says.

"Now I ask of you y/n. I ask you to protect Remnant of this threat. All of my powers have been spent preventing him from returning." He says.

"W-Who is this threat Oum?" I ask him.

"His name

Is vandheer."

"And He is my brother

"And He is my brother." He says.

I was shocked at this. I never knew that Oum had a relative. So why hasn't he mentioned it to us?

But aside from that. I'm not sure if I can fight a god. I have no semblance and even if I did. I'll lose in an instant.

"I-I'm not sure Oum. I'm not strong enough to face a literal god. There are many other powerful people out there. So why choose me?" I ask.

"Yes there are indeed other powerful beings out there. But none of them possess a heart as pure as yours." He says. My eyes widen in surprise.

"There are no others worthy of this power but you y/n. You may not realize it yet but your destiny is much greater than you think." He says.

I don't know what to think anymore.

"I don't know. How do you know that I'm the one to save Remnant?" I ask.

"Let me ask you this y/n. What does your heart want?" He asks.

"I. I want to live my life with the people that I love. I love team Rwby but they don't feel the same way. I know that my dream will never come true but if they can live happy lives then that's all that matters. I want everyone around me to have a smile on their faces as they live their lives. And if I must suffer for that to happen then I will accept it with open arms." I say with determination.

Oum smiles and nods his head.

"Then will you accept the power of the Holy Knight and serve as Remnant's hero?" He extends his hand towards me.

Weighing the options I chose my answer.

"No." I said.

Oum has a look of shock on his face.

"I will not accept a responsibility that is impossible for me to take." I say firmly.

"You need to find someone who is more worthy of this power than me." I turn around and I begin to walk away.

"I understand. May you find peace in these dark times." He says.

I stop dead in my tracks. I turn to show one eye at him.

"Peace died with my parents. I don't need it. What I need is to help others. Not myself." I head to the tunnel and I was about to begin my climb until a portal appeared behind me.

"Take this path. It will be more easier for you. You will need your strength." He says.

I nod and I walk through.

No one's POV

The portal closes leaving Oum alone. In the outside he was calm and collected. But on the inside he was confused on lost.

"I always knew that this burden was too much for him. I must find another candidate." He says as he disappears.

What seemed like Remnant's only hope has turned down the offer. What will happen now that Vandheer won't have a obstacle to stop him?

Or maybe. There is still hope?

Y/n pov

I was back In The forest again. I breathed the pure air once again. I looked at my scroll to see that only thirty minutes have passed.

"Guess I should head back to the others huh?" I say beginning my trek back.

On the way back I decided to put on my earbuds and listen to my music. I chose from random and a song. It wasn't really a song but the tune describes my mood.

I was only 7 years old when it happened. The day my parents died. I was stuck in a raging fire that consumed our home and village.

A stranger came and murdered everyone. He wore Grimm like armor and a grimm gun. He slaughtered all my friends and family right in my eyes.

My parents gave me an apologetic look before their heads were severed from there bodies. The mysterious man looked at me and turned away leaving me for dead.

When the rain came I freed myself. I kneeled at the bodies of my parents and I cried. I mourned for their deaths for days on end. The only thing I could ever do was build graves for them and the members of the village.

It was when I built the last grave was when I teen with white hair and a cane came up to me and he offered his hand.

"Come with me. Your destiny isn't here. You can come and mourn whenever you wish." He said to me. I happily took his hand and I made my new life at beacon academy.

Once a year I would travel back to my village and pay my respects. I then made it my life goal to hunt down that man

And kill him.