Chapter 5: the first lesson

Y/n POV

It was noon on Friday today. Master piandao has led me to his home to begin my sword training. But before that he gave me the sword trainer's robes. They were mainly black with a orange outline on them. In the corners were drawings of flames.

We stood in the main courtyard as he had his sword in his hand performing fluid movements.

"The way of the sword not complicated, but at the same time not simple either." He teaches.

"A sword is an extension of your body. Think of it as an extra arm to help you out. The most basic principle of the sword is to defend the wielder's body from harm." He says while swinging his sword around his body in perfect form.

It was so fluid and clean. I was impressed at his level of skill. I know how to swing a sword and block with it. But to perform these techniques. It puts my own blade to shame.

It just shows how unworthy I am. I master would throw out his apprentice if he saw such disgusting moves.

"Now before we begin your training I must see your current skill level. Therefore your will duel against me." He says pulling out two wooden swords.

I get into my stance. I can already see the look of disappointment on his face. I only know the most basic stance. I feel my shame wash over me.

"Now. Let us begin." He says rushing towards me.

He twirls his blade in a circular motion on his left before doing a upper slash. I attempt to block it but my sword is knocked away. I back up and I try to go for a thrust. My master dodges to my right and sends the hilt into my spine knocking me to the ground.

"Enough!" She yells.

I get to my knees before bowing to him.

"It is clear throat your skills have much needed polishing to do. But for now we will start from the very beginning. Understanding what wielding a sword means." He says.

"Y-you aren't disgusted by my skills?" I ask.

"Why would I? All sword skills have their uses. Plus the sword is for anyone willing to learn. When we met in the store I knew that you wanted to improve and learn. Now I will nurture that want into mastery." He says extending his hand.

I smile as I take it. From there he leads me into the building where his first lesson begins.

Time skip

"In order to understand what a sword means is by learning how we perceive it. Write your name." He instructs.

"Why?" I ask.

"When we strike with a sword. We leave our imprint on those environment around us. We mark our presence with every swing and block. With every thrust and dodge." He says.

I go to prepare to write but I hesitate. He says we leave our mark on the environment around us. Like swinging a brush to paint the world. Regaining my focus I instead use the movement I have to draw my face on the paper.

Master piandao grows interest at this and asks.

"Why draw instead of write?" He says confused.

"You said that just like a sword we leave a mark on the field of battle. I perceived it as we make ourselves known to the world. Drawing myself is another way of showing my presence. I believe that not every strike or slash or thrust can only be used in that manner. I believe that even without a sword we make ourselves known by showing our identities." I say.

My master grows impressed and nods.

Timeskip

Next we walk over to the nearby cliff edge. From there I get to see vale In all its glory. My eyes glow in awe at the sight. But master piandao turned me around and sat me to the ground.

"Now I want you to draw veering that you saw." He says.

"When you enter battle you only get a small window of time to take everything in before you are forced to fight." He says.

I try to turn my head but master stops me and turns my eyes to the paper.

"And no cheating." He says.

I sit there trying to remember what I saw. I only remember the city. From there I get an idea. I begin to draw the image that popped in my head. After I was done master saw what I drew and he grew shocked.

"Why have you drawn vale as if it was in ruins?" He asks.

"This reminded me of when I was given the choice to protect remnant from a great threat. Or what I visioned. I then drew what might be even if I accepted the offer. It shows me that I'm not strong enough to save everyone. I want to be strong. I really do. But when all of remnant is at stake. How can I perform such a task?" I say.

My master nods his head.

The sunsets as we stand in the courtyard.

"You have done well y/n. From what I have seen it shows me that there is much promise in you. But that promise is shrouded by guilt, doubt, and sadness. I will train you in the sword but these clouds. You must be the one to blow them away. I know you can do it." He says bowing.

I bow in return.

"I understand master." I say.

"Until tomorrow my apprentice." He says as he walks in and the gates close. I begin to walk back to beacon. But not before purchasing a guitar.

I leave the money on the counter before leaving

I leave the money on the counter before leaving. I play a few string as I walk back to my dorm.

Piandao POV

I watched as y/n walked back the academy. He is still in so much pain. He carries it but refuses to throw it away. I know that a few people will cure that pain. I just hope that they can do it in time.

??? Pov

I  have been walking for hours now. It felt like an eternity. But just then I see a castle in the distance. My excitement grows as I begin to run towards it. But my path was blocked by Grimm.

"So I am back after all. Good." I say as the Grimm circle me. I just stomped my foot and they start to bow.

They move out of my way as I walk into the castle.

"Ah. It's good to be home." I say as I sit on the throne. Now that I am finally back home I can exact my vengeance on Oum.

The world has forgotten me but they will see that.

"Vandheer here has returned." I say beginning to laugh.